Some Chutzpah - Selling a Stolen Prototype

Has it been confirmed to be an actual Sony prototype? With the amount of missing pieces it sounds like it could also be a manufacturing model used for making accessories and/or laying out production lines.

I like the idea of a Sony dumpster. Just one. It's just a giant metal rectangle the size of Connecticut filled with broken or incomplete Sony bits. The top layer is all cameras, Playstations, CDs, Blu-Ray players, etc.

But once you get a little further down, there's MiniDisc players, Laserdisc players, cassette decks, Watchmans (these were fairly short-lived....like a Walkman but with a TV screen).

Down further still are open reel decks, black & white TVs, transistor radios, etc.

I'd have a lot of fun in that dumpster.

I used to work for a major shoe company and employees would regularly get prototype shoes. Many of those shoes would end up at donation spots like Goodwill instead of being properly recycled due to NDA requirements. It could just be one of those cases where Sony's janitor forgot to send one bin for internal recycling and the other for proper trash! :D

What's most revealing to me is the amount of coverage this got - and that none of the big photography "news" sites simply tried to contact the seller and ask him...(?)

Too much work I guess - simply reposting a clickbaity article is work enough... :)

It strikes me that there is something fundamentally weird about this story. High-end optics are, well, high-end optics. The materials are expensive. The workmanship that goes into transforming a hunk of glass into a lens is expensive. If you build a prototype, and it doesn't quite work as desired, you might want to keep it for future reference . . . in case you wanted to play mix-and-match with optical or mechanical elements.

Dumpster? Only if somebody ran over it with a forklift.

Or perhaps somebody is trying to pass up some other piece of equipment as a Sony prototype.

This is a tale of high strangeness.

Cheers, Jock

Back