Feedback Some EXIF information now automatically displayed below forum images if available

I made a few tweaks to how the EXIF data is displayed. Visually, nothing should be different (if the image has EXIF data and if you are logged in to your Cameraderie account then you'll see it unless you turned it off in your account preferences) but behind-the-scenes I was looking at something else when I realized that I could get rid of some unneeded complexity with the code & templates.

If anybody notices wonky, please let me know.

I made a few tweaks to how the EXIF data is displayed. Visually, nothing should be different (if the image has EXIF data and if you are logged in to your Cameraderie account then you'll see it unless you turned it off in your account preferences) but behind-the-scenes I was looking at something else when I realized that I could get rid of some unneeded complexity with the code & templates.

If anybody notices wonky, please let me know.
Kevin, while I appreciate your continued attention to the EXIF aspect, the option I personally could really do with is being able to hide *my* EXIF data if I so choose. I wouldn't say no to a general option, but the greatest way would be a per-image (i.e. per-upload) option. And if it's not possible to hide that information, I'd not be against scrambling it on compression - leaving only copyright information intact if there is any. Not that I am overly bother with image theft (or I wouldn't post to a public forum), but sometimes I feel that it's nobody's business what gear an image was shot with. Besides, sometimes EXIF isn't complete or meaningful - think adapted or unconnected lenses (or uncoded ones on Leica bodies).

Not a feature request - just saying. Thanks for all your work!

M.

P.S. A stroke of genius would be a sort of EXIF menu to *set* EXIF information for an uploaded image (which, of course, would also allow to remove that information). But I think that's an utopian idea ...

Matt, I remember your feelings on the topic and it's something on the 'back of my mind' but really the topic is at the opposite end of the spectrum versus what the current add-on does. The current add-on only comes into play when an attachment is displayed, for any kind of options like you're describing it'd have to be changed when happens when an attachment is uploaded.

At some point I will likely circle back around to the topic by doing a generic Yes/No option in the user preferences to keep the EXIF data or to strip it (it'd be globally, not selective individual tags) but that's low on the list of things to be worked on. As I type this there is another alternative that popped into my mind so I'll add that to mental task list as well. :D

Matt, I remember your feelings on the topic and it's something on the 'back of my mind' but really the topic is at the opposite end of the spectrum versus what the current add-on does. The current add-on only comes into play when an attachment is displayed, for any kind of options like you're describing it'd have to be changed when happens when an attachment is uploaded.

At some point I will likely circle back around to the topic by doing a generic Yes/No option in the user preferences to keep the EXIF data or to strip it (it'd be globally, not selective individual tags) but that's low on the list of things to be worked on. As I type this there is another alternative that popped into my mind so I'll add that to mental task list as well. :D
I know that, Kevin; any action on your part is highly welcome, but by no means expected! And yes, you've got that one right, probably. I just seem to remember a EXIF plugin from some other forum software handling EXIF extensively, but I can't figure out where I saw that - so it wasn't anything I came across recently.

I'm fine with the priorities - I just thought I'd mention it at this occasion.

Thanks again.

M.

Back