Feedback Some EXIF information now automatically displayed below forum images if available

Amin

Hall of Famer
The forum software has been modified to automatically include some EXIF information below forum images as long as those images have associated EXIF information intact. Example:

exif.jpg

Please note that many online hosting companies will automatically strip EXIF information. For example, if you hotlinked an image from Flickr which was resized by Flickr, then Flickr will remove the EXIF info, so we cannot show it.

I will soon add an option under user preferences to hide the EXIF information in the forums for those who would rather not see it. I'll update this thread when that option is in place.

Last edited:
Please note that many online hosting companies will automatically strip EXIF information. For example, if you hotlinked an image from Flickr which was resized by Flickr, then Flickr will remove the EXIF info, so we cannot show it.

If you want the EXIF to come across from Flickr, choose the "Original" size. Flickr only removes the EXIF from the smaller versions. If the original size is greater than 1600px across, our forum software will resize it automatically while preserving the associated EXIF information.

flickr.png

There are a couple bugs to be fixed:

1) Some shutter speeds are being shown as non-reduced fractions, eg 10/2000s instead of 1/200s

2) When there is no lens info, the software is instead showing the make of the camera.

Example where there is lens info in EXIF:

lensf.png

Example where there is no lens info in EXIF:

nolensf.png

If this could ever be activated on a per-image basis, I'd be all for it and would use it frequently. As it is, it's useful at times, but not always, so I turned it off for the time being. But thanks for implementing and documenting this!

M.

There is now an option under account preferences to disable this display EXIF information for those who would like to do so.

If this could ever be activated on a per-image basis, I'd be all for it and would use it frequently. As it is, it's useful at times, but not always, so I turned it off for the time being. But thanks for implementing and documenting this!

M.
@MoonMind, do you still feel this way about the EXIF data being displayed? I'm cleaning up some behind-the-scenes stuff and noticed that there are only 6 people who have the option turned on to not display the info.

@MoonMind, do you still feel this way about the EXIF data being displayed? I'm cleaning up some behind-the-scenes stuff and noticed that there are only 6 people who have the option turned on to not display the info.
:) That's rather typical for me ... You know, I'm into the images, not the data. I'd like to be able to keep it that way (i.e. not to have to display the EXIF data), but it's no real issue.

I don't need my images to shout: "I'm taken with such and such camera and lens!" That's caused by my belief that it's not the camera, it's the photographer. That's not to say that that kind of information isn't interesting at times ...

More to the point, what put me off most was that the information displayed was far from consistent, which is most probably the camera makers' fault, not the tool's. So I thought, why bother if I can't fix it myself?

To sum up, if it's a nuisance to keep the option allive, remove it. But yes, I'd still use a per-image option, but I don't want to cause any additional work; I'm fine with how things are.

M.

:) That's rather typical for me ... You know, I'm into the images, not the data. I'd like to be able to keep it that way (i.e. not to have to display the EXIF data), but it's no real issue.

I don't need my images to shout: "I'm taken with such and such camera and lens!" That's caused by my belief that it's not the camera, it's the photographer. That's not to say that that kind of information isn't interesting at times ...

More to the point, what put me off most was that the information displayed was far from consistent, which is most probably the camera makers' fault, not the tool's. So I thought, why bother if I can't fix it myself?

To sum up, if it's a nuisance to keep the option allive, remove it. But yes, I'd still use a per-image option, but I don't want to cause any additional work; I'm fine with how things are.

M.
With the forum upgrade we're re-working the add-on that displays the EXIF info. With only 6 people with the option turned off I'm not sure if it'll survive the software upgrade. It's not a major issue to keep it as an opt-out choice (the same way it is now) but having it per image would require extensive rewrite to how it works. Currently the add-on is an all-or-nothing approach, it either displays the info if found (for subscribing members) or not. In other words, it's a global approach with nothing associated to the individual image that could be used for individual image on/off selection.

What information, if you recall, did you find inconsistent about it or would have preferred to see changed? As I write this I'm testing the new version so this is definitely the time for suggestions on what info' is displayed. :)

...there are only 6 people who have the option turned on to not display the info.
I've found, after 25 years of managing forums of all kinds, that most members do not change the default options in their control panels.

I'd like to be able to keep it that way (i.e. not to have to display the EXIF data), but it's no real issue.
You can change the behavior in your favorite photo editor. I know Lightroom has this option and I think Photoshop does also. The last time I used Corel Paintshop Pro, that was an option too, but that was several years ago. I edit photos for a couple of websites I work for, and they don't want EXIF info to be available if someone downloads their photos. One site is especially worried about location info - they are a hunting site and don't want people to know where the big bucks are. As for myself, I know that many photography aficionados are interested in knowing what gear was used for a particular shot. While it's true that it's the artist, not the equipment, it's still nice to know sometimes what tools were used for a job, whether that job is installing a herringbone hardwood floor with inserts, modding a custom PC, swapping out the 3:93 diffs for 4:10s with lockers on a Jeep, building a bathroom vanity that looks like a chest of drawers, or capturing a 9-shot panorama.

What information, if you recall, did you find inconsistent about it or would have preferred to see changed? As I write this I'm testing the new version so this is definitely the time for suggestions on what info' is displayed. :)
Sometimes the lens info was rather obscure or faulty - but that's to do with the fact that I shoot adapted glass or use my Leica M10 that doesn't recognise a lot of lenses (due to them not being 6-bit coded). So, specifically, I'd like to be able to limit or change lens information - i.e. only focal length and aperture, adjustable by the user if need be. I think that's about it for the really irritating things.

But I think I'm actually the wrong one to ask - because I wouldn't miss the plug-in if it were gone.
You can change the behavior in your favorite photo editor.
You're right, of course - but that would actually also mean that I would have to adjust/correct EXIF for all files or at least on a regular basis; I don't care enough about that kind of stuff to integrate that into my workflow ... again, it's probable that I am the main cause of the problem, so if I can just switch off EXIF display, I'm fine. If there is none, fine by me as well. But I guess I'm pretty much the only one who sees it that way (or one of half a dozen people at best :)): If I find that kind of information relevant, I'll add it manually, if I think it distracts from the image as such, I'd rather do without ...

M.

Sometimes the lens info was rather obscure or faulty - but that's to do with the fact that I shoot adapted glass or use my Leica M10 that doesn't recognise a lot of lenses (due to them not being 6-bit coded).
Funny you should mention lens info, that's exactly what we've been tearing apart the last few nights. If you've got some images in mind that you've posted (either here or elsewhere), if you can point me in the direction so I can grab a few to test with I'll see what info' can be obtained.
So, specifically, I'd like to be able to limit or change lens information - i.e. only focal length and aperture, adjustable by the user if need be.
Honestly, being able to adjust any of the EXIF (or other metatags) on a per image basis at the time of upload would require some major coding and way outside of the scope of what the current add-on does. It'd be akin to saying that somebody needs to upgrade their '73 Ford Pinto that they use for grocery shopping to now be able to haul a few tons of gravel for a construction job. A bit of hyperbole :D but just trying to highlight why this particular request won't be on the "To Do" list.

That would maybe be an issue on at least one other site I could think of Matt, but not sure that's an issue here (am I wrong?)
I don't think that's the case here; at least I haven't seen any notion of that from extensively digging around the past few weeks into old threads. There have been some incredible looking pics posted here with gear that ranges from cell phones to full frame DSLRs & everything between and while there are some really interesting conversations taking place about the gear used and the photographer's process I don't think I've come across a single thread yet where the gear selection was equated to the image quality or the artistic intent of the person behind the lens.

The EXIF info that is shown is just the basics and is purposely presented in a smaller font size than the rest of the post content so it doesn't distract from the actual image.

Personally, as somebody who still has a huge amount of learning to do, I like seeing the f-stop, ISO, & exposure time values and reading what the person wrote about the shots (are they straight out-of-camera, were they post-processed, what techniques did they use, etc.) to get an idea sometimes on how a shot was achieved. The make/model/lens info is there but it's not what I'm paying attention to.

That would maybe be an issue on at least one other site I could think of Matt, but not sure that's an issue here (am I wrong?)
It probably isn't - and then again, it quite obviously is, and more than I'm comfortable with, to be honest. If I'm not into sharing my gear info with everyone at all times, whose business is that, exactly?

I just use an existing option, and I'm glad it's there. It's up to Kevin to keep it or remove the choice we have now; he asked me my opinion, and I gave it. That's it.

If the fact that EXIF is shown ever bothers me, I can just erase all info beforehand (it's a click away in Windows if I so choose). I'm not sure why I should want that - except as a consequence to this very discussion.

I fully appreciate that Kevin wants to keep things tidy - so if providing the option is troublesome, I can live without it. End of story.

M.

Back