Feedback Some EXIF information now automatically displayed below forum images if available

I haven't turned on the no exit option because I didnt know it existed until now, but im gonna have a look and see if i can still do it... I personally find it quite distracting.

Since I have more interest in it than some, I find the data fun.
But I do understand that some find it personal and/or distracting.
So I am good either way. Am sure any of us can provide the data along with our photo if we think it pertinent.

Last edited:
I find the EXIF data occasionally interesting. I have never, however, liked an image and then thought, after seeing the EXIF, “f4 instead of f5.6? What were you thinking?”. I can ignore it if I don’t want to know it.

Should EXIF information still be visible? I've lost it in this forum.... working perfectly in m43 forum.
Nothing was changed and I'm still seeing it... Can you point me in the direction of an example where you're not seeing it? As long as the image is attached locally and if there is EXIF data then it should be showing for subscribers.

Me too, don't think the displaying of that info was too popular.
The way it's working here is actually slightly different than how it was done at Amin's other sites and I talked with him to confirm. In short, how it should work is that subscribers would see the EXIF data while everybody else would see a generic 'Subscribe to see...' message. The version of the addon here is an older version that behaves differently.

When Cameraderie is upgraded to the new version of XenForo the new version of the display EXIF add-on will display more lens info and slightly better make/model info.

This is not working for me either. I do have the setting to show turned on.
Unfortunately it's all a bit of a jumble. The way the add-on appears to have been originally done was that everybody could see the EXIF data and the same add-on was used on multiple sites (here and Amin's other sites). At some point the philosophy was changed so that viewing the EXIF data was a feature for the Subscribers group. For example, on the other sites that used to be the 'sister' sites of Cameraderie going there today will result in a message of "Subscribe to see..." being shown for non-Subscribers while Subscribers would see the EXIF data. Complicating matters is that here at Cameraderie some people preferred not seeing the EXIF data so an option, viewable to everybody, was added to turn the display on/off plus the version of the add-on installed here is not the most recent version as it is being used on the other sites. A big jumble. :(

For now I've just gone ahead and opened up the viewing of it to all registered members (IOW, anybody who is logged in) and will come back to the topic after the upgrade. The target to upgrade the site is Q1 2019.

So at this point... everybody who is logged in should be able to see the EXIF data on attachments image that have the data present. If somebody isn't seeing EXIF, please let me know which posts you're not seeing it and I'll take a look. Reasons why the EXIF might not be showing would be if (1) the image is on a remote server and is not an attachment or (2) if the image doesn't have all of the EXIF data in it or (3) I still missed something somewhere.

I see the EXIF clearly here..... nikon Z6 image thread

do those who say they can't see EXIF (@Matero & @donlaw ) see it at the above thread?

Working now, EXIF information showing up, previously didn't work on this thread. Thanks!
I'm really enjoying this EXIF information, especially in this forum where there are multiple camera/lens combination used. Always informative and fun to realize how little gear explains the best photos :D

My export is set to auto-strip EXIF, I've debated adding it in the past but it tended to create "spirited" conversations in other fora (none of the Amin sites thankfully) that really didn't achieve much than to cause disgruntlement. I'm interested in it, but to me the image speaks more than anything else, including the metadata. I'm glad it's available for those who want to include it.

Ah, that explains what happened to me in the Z6 thread. Thought I was going crazy, lol.

btw -- I'm fine w/sub required to see EXIF (once you sort that out). Gotta have some reason to subscribe.

btw -- I'm fine w/sub required to see EXIF (once you sort that out). Gotta have some reason to subscribe.
The more effort I put into the new version and the more I dug into the subject, I think I'm going to leave it as it is now where as long as a community member is logged in then they'll be able to see the data. I know personally I like seeing the data on other places on the web I visit and the last thing I would want is for any Cameraderie members to think that they have to 'buy' or 'purchase' a subscription, especially just for being able to view the EXIF of attachments, considering that the same data is easily obtainable with browser extensions & other methods and that the subscriptions are entirely voluntarily to help out with the server bills. After we get the forum upgrade done, and things settle down from that, we'll try to find other little perks to show appreciation for anybody who does an account subscription; viewing EXIF data, though, will be considered just a basic community feature available for all community members.

For anybody curious, using the Punisher pics by Bobby as an example, here's how the EXIF data for attachments will look after the forum upgrade...

Currently
upload_2019-1-27_15-7-16.png

New Version
upload_2019-1-27_15-7-7.png

The font spacing of the new version is slightly more compact to try & show more info in about the same amount of space as before. The logic for displaying the Make & Model type has been overhauled a bit along with expanded logic to try & identify the Lens used. In short, if the lens info' is somewhere in the metadata then we can now look for it easily.

The option to disable viewing the EXIF data below the attachment likely won't be there, at least on Day 1.

If anybody thinks there is other data that might be interesting to view below the attachments, let me know.

On a related note, if anybody has some images with weird meta tags that they'd like me to test out, please forward those as well. I've got the Make / Model / Lens tags looking in a few different spots to find the values but it's always possible I've missed something.

Back