Some images from 2012 Brixham sailing trawler race

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
A rather grey day with a lowering cloud base and increasing wind presented some challenging conditions, particularly for the smaller craft

1060153.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Mounts Bay pilchard driver Girl Sybil with a seemingly relaxed crew

1060168.jpg

Vigilance close hauled and running up into the wind defending the King George V perpetual challenge cup as winner for the last five years

1060172.jpg

Vigilance coming about

1060178.jpg

Vigilance

1060224.jpg

Pilgrim, newly restored to sailing condition and very much as original in external appearance

Minor cropping to correct any sloping horizons

The days shoot has generated two other posts

https://www.photographerslounge.org/f21/if-you-suffer-seasickness-best-not-look-10064/
https://www.photographerslounge.org...swers-shout-call-out-choppy-conditions-10063/

Panasonic GH2 with Olympus 50-200mm, f/2.8-3.5 4/3 fitting zoom

Barrie

What wonderful old boats! Thanks, Barrie, really good to see these old girls out there and amongst it.

Thanks Sue. Yes, they're older than we are, the oldest was built in 1895, the youngest in 1926. All loving restored by volunteer labour. Wish I lived a few miles closer and on the other side of the Dart estuary, I reckon I'd be up for some of that.

Barrie

Good to see - a pity the sun stayed away but I guess the grey skies are not atypical.

Bill, no problem with the lack of sun, these are working boats, or were, and I wanted to show them in typical working conditions, so no pretty blue seas and skies for me thank you :) Also it helped to avoid blown highlights given the low contrast of the actual scene.

Barrie

Beautiful photographs.

So much skill represented in these boats: oroginal builders, those who restore and maintain them, those who sail them - and of course the photographer...::)

Back