Leica Some Leica Q Images on the Street.

D

dalethorn

This thing was a lot of work. I had a second one where the store owner (from Finland to Charleston via Mexico) flicked the lights on, and it was nice and an interesting contrast to this one with the shadows on the wall etc., but after spending so much time on this, I tossed the other one.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/10 sec. handheld burst, ISO 800.
Charleston_Downtown46_s.jpg

The first image here is upscale condos that sit on a salt-water wetland. The reason I did this one is to show Autumn colors in the Southland, which are sparse compared to Northern states. The second image is the European-village miniature at the downtown hotel in Charleston, which gets put up every December for the hotel and shopping guests. That scene is pretty dark from all four sides, so I shot a couple of handheld bursts at 1/10 second and ISO 1600. I could have opened the Aperture to as wide as f1.7, but I needed DOF, so it's not as sharp as it could have been.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/1600, ISO 200.
Mtpleasant48_s.jpg

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/10 sec. handheld burst, ISO 1600.
Charleston_Place04_s.jpg

Here's something I thought would be an interesting juxtaposition - the statue of John C. Calhoun, seen through the framework of this Holocaust Memorial.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown47_s.jpg

Interior of church - I needed to select and darken (gamma, lightness) the large white object containing the Jesus-figure behind the altar. It was overexposed, so some surface detail or texture was lost. Still a pretty good win, shooting handheld and JPEG with the Q. I would have preferred to shoot a little higher above the pews, but not having a tripod, it was the only shooting position where I could brace the camera and not have to use an extreme ISO.

Leica Q, f5.6, 0.5 seconds braced, ISO 200.
Charleston_Church02_s.jpg

The Q at 28 mm isn't a first choice in birds, but sometimes the little ones let you get close. The beak, closest to the head, shows how young this little birdie is.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/200 handheld, ISO 200.
Sparrow54_s.jpg

Leica would do well to come out with a Q2 with a fast 50 on it. The pair in a camera bag would meet the needs of most people.

I can't believe how close the little bird got to you!

Leica would do well to come out with a Q2 with a fast 50 on it. The pair in a camera bag would meet the needs of most people.
I can't believe how close the little bird got to you!

The Q has those 35mm and 50mm frames you can activate that crop (crops the JPEG only) in-camera, and while I've found the 35mm crop (15 megapixels) to be really good for a lot of shots, the 50mm crop (7.5 mp) is lower in quality than the LX100 camera's images. I don't use it.

Leica has been exploring the LX-100 type of zoom with cameras like the X Vario and T, and while I love the X Vario lens, I just think the T is a camera without a cause. So if Leica could produce a camera much like the Q (but not front-heavy like the X Vario) with a zoom lens of 28-55mm (but same quality) and keep the size and cost down, that would be an immediate purchase.

More-or-less abandoned stone church, Akron Ohio, probably now owned by Akron University. As the industrial era wound down, Akron U has acquired thousands of acres of land near downtown for bargain prices.

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/80 handheld, ISO 200.
Akron65_s.jpg

Buildings in historic district, always undergoing restoration:
Leica Q, f5.6, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown49_s.jpg

Possible graffiti, not yet determined. Also not determined is whether the random splotches were part of the original art:
Leica Q, f5.6, 1/100 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown50_s.jpg

Charleston College campus, Charleston College chef school, Awendaw/Bulls Bay.

Leica Q, f3.2, 1/160 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown51_s.jpg

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/2 sec. braced against window, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown52_s.jpg

Leica Q, f5.6, 1/1000 handheld, ISO 200.
Awendaw02_s.jpg

Back