Leica Some portraits from Bunker Museum IJmuiden

Mr_Flibble

All-Pro
Name
Rick
A week and a half ago (Weekend of the 20th may 2017) I went to a Living History event at the Bunker Museum in IJmuiden (NL) also known as "Widerstandsnest 2000". The various living history groups, Panzer Grenadiers, Dutch and French resistance, Americans, British SAS were spread out over the terrain and there were raids and probes towards the other encampments all day and evening.

I took the opportunity to snap a few photos with my Graflex Speed Graphic, Leica I and Leica M-E.

I'll share some of the portraits I took with the Leica M-E and Xenon 50mm f/1.5 here:

1. Machine gunner's assistant
BM170569.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Machine gunner
BM170570.jpg

3. Medic
BM170571.jpg

4. French Resistance Fighter
BM170581.jpg

5. French Resistance Fighter x2
BM170582.jpg

6. Maquisard x3
BM170584.jpg

7. Our Looie
BM170531.jpg

8. Second in Command
BM170540.jpg

9. Two-fer portrait
BM170576.jpg

10. Out on a night raid.
BM170558.jpg

It was a fun weekend, except that we couldn't put our tents up due to some caterpillar infestation. The Museum granted us access to some of the bunkers to stay in for the weekend. So we slept next to the preserved wreck of a Zeehund 2-man u-boat :)
Looking forward to going again next year....though preferably without the caterpillars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing photographs- the color could be out of a 1940s Life.

That Xenon always amazes me- another lens that gets a bum rap due to haze and scratches in the soft front element. Find a good one- gives a unique rendering and vintage color.

Thanks,

The glow in number 6 and 7 does tell me I should've brought the hood (got a XOONS somewhere for it but it's rather bulky). I used my M1 helmet to shade the lens a bit when I could. Shooting close to wide open did mean that one-handed shooting wasn't much of a problem. ;)

Back