Fuji Some pros think the X100S is da bomb

kevwilfoto

Regular
Name
Kevin
I don't shoot hundreds upon hundreds of frames a day, and I carry an extra battery for any camera, but I agree that I don't find the X100 that much of a battery eater. That said, the X100S sounds amazingly good.

LoL I have the original - but I don't think it's that hard on batteries....:beguiled:

Zack calls the original "The greatest camera ever made." I love me some X100 but that maybe a tad overstated.I, also, have never thought it particularly short on battery life.

I have been and still am incredibly pleased with my X100, it delivers every time and like others have stated, it does not seem that hard on batteries - I do always carry spares though but I do that with all my digitals.
So far, all of the early reviews of the X100s have been very positive so it may prove a worthy upgrade should the funds be available!

For someone who already has an X-e1 and a few lenses, does the 100s offer anything special?

I'm still waiting to find out (my X100S hasn't shipped yet) but presumably the X100S offers:

1) Much faster AF
2) Focus peaking and split screen focus
3) OVF / hybrid viewfinder
4) Built-in 3-stop ND filter (bonus)

Not sure how much beyond that, but the faster AF is a biggie for some (like me - I've found myself missing a bunch of shots from the X-E1's focus speed in low light).

I've got the X-E1 now and am seriously considering replacing mine with the X100S mainly for the focusing improvements and the OVF. The interchangeable lenses are obviously the big strength of the X-E1, but since I already have m4/3 gear to fill that niche, a 35mm equiv. fixed lens isn't necessarily a problem for me. These comments from X100 owners are encouraging as I owned the X100 first, and would love to try a model that improves on it.

On the flip side, the X-E1 offers interchangeable lenses and eventually the 23mm f/1.4 lens which would offer a step faster aperture and more shallow DoF over the X100S's 23mm f/2 lens. Presumably, an X-E2 or X-Pro2 that comes out in the future may offer improved AF similar to the X100S, and those Fujinon lenses would be usable there as well.

For someone who already has an X-e1 and a few lenses, does the 100s offer anything special?

I would argue that what really makes the X100S special over the X-E1 is the hybrid OVF/EVF. Yes, AF is supposedly faster due to the phase detection pixels on the sensor and there is focus peaking and 70 or so other improvements over the X100. I would expect that output with comparable lenses would be similar between the X100S and X-E1. Just as people are raving about how amazing the X100S is, I'm sure we'll hear the same kinds if things once the 23mm f1.4 is released for the X-mount cameras.

Zack Arias=Steve Huff.

You are joking right? Zack Arias is actually paid to do photography work. And Ray one could easily say Steve Huff is a Leica or Sony shill. Gee let's see the $10,000 dollar camera is better than the $1300 one or well the $2500 + $1000 worth of accessories RX1 is a better camera. Well they should be. Just like I expect a Nikon D800 to be a better camera than a Canon Rebel. I don't even need a blogger to help me figure that one out.

Calling it a battery eater just makes me want to ignore whatever other half truths he spews forth

Well maybe the context is relevant. He is a working photographer. Spend some time considering what he puts online, and the clients he has. Then consider the sheer volume of photographs he puts through his cameras.

His context is different from yours. In his world I can easily see how he would wish for a longer lasting battery.

I prefer reviews and commentary from those who use a camera a great deal. Their comments are likely to be real world. The thing to keep in mind then is that some of their comments might not be relevant to you.

I'll say though that dismissing the rest of what he has to say because his experience differs from yours makes me think we've been hacked by a DPR mob.

As for equating Arias to Huff, well, I think that's more of a reflection on the person making the statement. I don't see any evidence that they approach things in the same way. Arias relies on clients to offer photo gigs. Huff relies on hits.

I don't see how Huff was any more willing to be hard on Xs than Arias. Huff has been more blunt, but only operates in comparing gear. Read Arias. He acknowledged the slower AF for example, but made it clear it wasn't an issue for his type of shooting. Context again.

You are joking right? Zack Arias is actually paid to do photography work. And Ray one could easily say Steve Huff is a Leica or Sony shill. Gee let's see the $10,000 dollar camera is better than the $1300 one or well the $2500 + $1000 worth of accessories RX1 is a better camera. Well they should be. Just like I expect a Nikon D800 to be a better camera than a Canon Rebel. I don't even need a blogger to help me figure that one out.

I agree. That's why I said I thought Zach was a better photographer - I should have said MUCH better. And I agree that Steve is a shill for most of the stuff he gets for free, but I think its somewhat to his credit that he's been willing to criticize things about cameras he doesn't like. I don't think he's found anything he dislikes about the OMD, for example, but has been somewhat critical of Fuji AF and some of the Nex lenses I believe. I've never seen him criticize Leica and we'll see if the high ISO banding issue with the new M240 is a big issue or not, but he seems to be REALLY downplaying it, so that could turn out to be shill behavior. Then again, despite his complaints about the X100, he pretty much always had it coming out on top of the Leica X1 and X2, IIRC, so I give him some points for honesty. He's just wickedly enthusiastic about the stuff he likes and I can pretty much relate.

So I wasn't defending Steve. He knows what pays his bills and goes to bat to keep the money coming in. But if I ever tried to run a site like his, I'd probably be accused and plead guilty to the same stuff because I tend to like almost everything I try these days. There are exceptions, but I'll always say that's just about personal preference rather than good or bad - the RX100 isn't for me at all but its an amazing little camera in a lot of ways. So I'd probably come off as a shill too because very little current camera gear sucks at all and I can get pretty enthusiastic about anything, particularly in the relatively early days of using it.

But, as much as I like Zach's work and fully respect him as a professional photographer, he's still a Fuji shill - I don't think there's any question about it. That doesn't mean he doesn't believe what he's saying, but I'd be shocked if he's not getting paid to say it, or at least getting a lifetime supply of Fuji gear. And he says it in some pretty over the top ways. I mean, I really don't believe the X100s is the greatest camera of all time and I doubt he does either, but he's hot for it at the moment and is willing to say that about it. To me, that's pretty over the top and is pretty much what a shill does! And again, if I was as good as Zach and I really liked Fuji as much as he seems to and they were willing to pay me to shout about it, I'd probably do that too. So I don't think I'm being over-critical here. Just calling a spade a spade...

-Ray

Back