Fuji Some quick thoughts after a week with the 18mm 1.4

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
I've had the 18mm 1.4 for a little over one week. Getting to shoot a little bit of most everything I normally shoot. So now I can write a little about it.

While I was unsure about shooting with this focal length because I've always shot 24mm and 35mm FF equivalents. And really gravitating to the 16mm 1.4 after switching to Fuji. Also, I enjoyed the 2.8 variant for several months last year. So the 18mm(28mm FF) was new territory for me. So far, it has been a great focal length to shoot with. Working very well for everything I shoot.

Speaking to the 18mm 1.4. I love the way it renders images, the sharpness, sunstars, and the smoothness of the OOF area of the image. Or it may be easier to say, the look it gives to the images. The focal length and image quality from this lens works very well for what and how I shoot.

As far as the lens's performance. The 18mm 1.4 lives up to all of the pre release hype and reviews. The AF is instantaneous. Even working well in light so low, one would not actually take a photo. It has a solid build.

Some candids
DSCF3939-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF3950-L.jpg

DSCF3670-L.jpg

Portraits
DSCF3907-L.jpg

DSCF3937%202%201-L.jpg

Close ups
DSCF3801-L.jpg

DSCF3805-L.jpg

Cemetery
DSCF3861%202-L.jpg

DSCF3857-L.jpg

Sun stars
DSCF3898-L.jpg

Long Exposure
DSCF3779-L.jpg

This is simply a great set of images, Bobby.

I'm curious about the two of the cicada (which, for my admittedly eclectic tastes, are among my favorites of all of these!) - does the lens do close-focusing well? And did the cicada in question sit still for the photographer - or did it leap or fly away suddenly after you took these exposures?

@MiguelATF Thank you, sir!

The lens did all of the close focusing work. And handled it very well. These cicadas were laid back and just sat there. The poor fellow who suffered through the attempt to use a macro tube was not happy with me and flew off. Which is probably something I should have mentioned above. When using the macro tube, I had to put the front element of the 18mm against the cicada to start getting anything in focus. Which is why said cicada got unhappy and flew off.

Back