Fuji Some thoughts on the X-Pro2 and X-T2

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
This has been done to death already. But now that I have both bodies in house, it has made me look at these two bodies with a different perspective. Like many, I have always thought of the X-Pro2 and X-T2 as basically the same camera in different ergonomic formats. Rangefinder and SLR. Having shot with the X-T2 a few days, I feel that this is no longer the case. Also, I now have a new outlook on why some features are on the X-T2 which are not on the X-Pro2. Despite the fact that these features can easily be added through firmware. Put simply, the X-T2 is a tool for working shoots like events, weddings, comic cons, festivals, and so on. The T2 outperforms the Pro2 in every way important to operating quickly in order to not miss a shot. None of this means that any of the working shoots I mentioned can not be shot with a Pro2. Or a X-E2, X-T10, Pro1, etc. I have shot events with those bodies. I liken this back to when I was shooting Canon and moved from a 5D2 to 1D3/4 bodies. I could shoot everything with a 5D2. But it was so much easier with the 1D3/4 because everything about those bodies was designed for speed and shooting without thinking about every setting. One has to get the shot in the moment. And there is no second chances. With the X-T2 one can change the shutter speed, aperture, and/or iso without ever taking your eye off of the viewfinder or moving a hand off of the camera.

Looking at these two bodies from my current perspective. I feel like the X-Pro2 is all about the shooting experience. It is not a tool meant to get out of the way of working. Instead, the X-Pro2 is meant to be part of the process of making the photograph. Taking more time and putting more thought into each push of the shutter button. Having arrived at this conclusion, it makes a lot more sense to me now that Fuji has left features like dual orientation AF points out of the Pro2. Because more thought is put into each composition. You can't change the iso by simply turning the front dial. You have to take your eye off of the viewfinder, pull up on the iso dial, then turn it to the desired setting.

Both of these cameras are capable of amazing photographs. And there is no right or wrong philosophy about taking pictures. Everyone works differently. I work differently depending on what I am shooting. Right now I am fighting with myself over selling the Pro2. I want to keep my kit as minimal as possible. Not to mention that recouping the money spent on the X-T2 goes a long way towards keeping the peace with the misses. But then, I absolutely love the process of shooting with the X-Pro2. I may meet in the middle, doing as Adam did, and pick up a X-Pro1 for those times I want the magical shooting experience. Or hide the Pro2. Or go on the run with both cameras and hope I stay ahead of the misses' wrath.

i-H6PcXvh-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's an excellent post Bobby, I've never really used an X-T2, I used to have an X-T1 though.

The process of using the X-Pro range (and the one and two require different ways of working IMO) is part of the charm.

It's completely different to shooting with (say) a Leica M, but like shooting with an M, IMO it pays to treat the way the camera works as a fixed point and to pivot around it to get what you need.

Now, someone could read that and easily say "no thanks, I want an camera that can work in any way I want"

And 100%, absolutely.

But for me (and I guess other X-Pro shooters and quirky camera lovers) the process of using the camera adds to the charm of the images you get with it (YMMV)

Oh and @BobbyT RE my mrs, it turns out that a X-Pro1 looks much like the X-Pro2 you already own... just don't leave them both out at the same time :D

I'm at a point in my shooting where there are many times I need what the X-T2 offers. I'll be adding the battery grip to maximize the X-T2's capabilities for the working shoots. As it seems my event team can never seem to stay retired.

I sold my X-Pro2. But I'll definitely continue to read your articles every week. It is a much enjoyed part of my Sunday routine.

Because of your articles. And my looking back on my photos from when I had the X-E1. I think I am going to pick up a X-Pro1 for that special experience of shooting that only those bodies offer. I was on the verge of withdrawing the Pro2. But someone sent me payment for it before I could decide.

As it turns out with the misses. It seems she doesn't pay enough attention to my camera bodies to realize the difference between the X-T2 and X-Pro2. She just sees a camera aimed at her. There may be hope after all. On the other hand, if I disappear suddenly. You guys will know what happened. :D

As it turns out with the misses. It seems she doesn't pay enough attention to my camera bodies to realize the difference between the X-T2 and X-Pro2. She just sees a camera aimed at her. There may be hope after all. On the other hand, if I disappear suddenly. You guys will know what happened. :D

I hear ya! :D

I’m tempted to share a gear list of what the mrs thinks I have compared to what I really have... but I fear I’ll just put a jinx on the situation

That said... generally speaking... better to beg forgiveness than plead permission ;)

. . .the X-Pro2 is all about the shooting experience. It is not a tool meant to get out of the way of working. Instead, the X-Pro2 is meant to be part of the process of making the photograph.

Bobby, this is terrific! This exactly describes what I feel about using my X-Pro, but I had not found a way to put it into words so eloquently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following up on your original post, Bobby, I experienced a very similar thing shooting an event last night. I began working with the 27 on my X-Pro 1 and the 18-135 on my X-T20. It was cumbersome, and I soon realized that in this case, it was about recording the event rather than the shooting experience. I put the X-Pro back in the bag and used the X-T20/18-135 combo for the rest of the evening.

I initially found the X-T20 too small to work with comfortably, which surprised me, because it's about the same size as my Olympus E-M5. Putting it in a leather half-case made ia world of difference.

Bobby Ive done just the opposite. I first owned the X-T2 going from an X-T1 looking for what I thought I was missing with the X-T1. Later on I found an X-E2s at a great price and bought it. I really liked the RF style and after a while I had to try the X-Pro2. The X-T2 and X-T1 are both gone and Im enjoying the X-E2s and the X-Pro2 a lot more then the X-T's.

Following up on your original post, Bobby, I experienced a very similar thing shooting an event last night. I began working with the 27 on my X-Pro 1 and the 18-135 on my X-T20. It was cumbersome, and I soon realized that in this case, it was about recording the event rather than the shooting experience. I put the X-Pro back in the bag and used the X-T20/18-135 combo for the rest of the evening.

I initially found the X-T20 too small to work with comfortably, which surprised me, because it's about the same size as my Olympus E-M5. Putting it in a leather half-case made ia world of difference.

You drive it home here. Sometimes you just have to document something. That doesn't mean it can not be done artistically. But you need a specific tool for that job.

Bobby, this is terrific! This exactly describes what I feel about using my X-Pro, but I had not found a way to put it into words so eloquently.

Bobby Ive done just the opposite. I first owned the X-T2 going from an X-T1 looking for what I thought I was missing with the X-T1. Later on I found an X-E2s at a great price and bought it. I really liked the RF style and after a while I had to try the X-Pro2. The X-T2 and X-T1 are both gone and Im enjoying the X-E2s and the X-Pro2 a lot more then the X-T's.

I foresee a X-Pro1 in my not too distant future for that experience and enjoyment. Or possibly another Pro2 since I have a friend here sitting on one. The price will get cheaper and cheaper for it the longer he has it :daz:

This has been done to death already. But now that I have both bodies in house, it has made me look at these two bodies with a different perspective. Like many, I have always thought of the X-Pro2 and X-T2 as basically the same camera in different ergonomic formats. Rangefinder and SLR. Having shot with the X-T2 a few days, I feel that this is no longer the case. Also, I now have a new outlook on why some features are on the X-T2 which are not on the X-Pro2. Despite the fact that these features can easily be added through firmware. Put simply, the X-T2 is a tool for working shoots like events, weddings, comic cons, festivals, and so on. The T2 outperforms the Pro2 in every way important to operating quickly in order to not miss a shot. None of this means that any of the working shoots I mentioned can not be shot with a Pro2. Or a X-E2, X-T10, Pro1, etc. I have shot events with those bodies. I liken this back to when I was shooting Canon and moved from a 5D2 to 1D3/4 bodies. I could shoot everything with a 5D2. But it was so much easier with the 1D3/4 because everything about those bodies was designed for speed and shooting without thinking about every setting. One has to get the shot in the moment. And there is no second chances. With the X-T2 one can change the shutter speed, aperture, and/or iso without ever taking your eye off of the viewfinder or moving a hand off of the camera.

Looking at these two bodies from my current perspective. I feel like the X-Pro2 is all about the shooting experience. It is not a tool meant to get out of the way of working. Instead, the X-Pro2 is meant to be part of the process of making the photograph. Taking more time and putting more thought into each push of the shutter button. Having arrived at this conclusion, it makes a lot more sense to me now that Fuji has left features like dual orientation AF points out of the Pro2. Because more thought is put into each composition. You can't change the iso by simply turning the front dial. You have to take your eye off of the viewfinder, pull up on the iso dial, then turn it to the desired setting.

Both of these cameras are capable of amazing photographs. And there is no right or wrong philosophy about taking pictures. Everyone works differently. I work differently depending on what I am shooting. Right now I am fighting with myself over selling the Pro2. I want to keep my kit as minimal as possible. Not to mention that recouping the money spent on the X-T2 goes a long way towards keeping the peace with the misses. But then, I absolutely love the process of shooting with the X-Pro2. I may meet in the middle, doing as Adam did, and pick up a X-Pro1 for those times I want the magical shooting experience. Or hide the Pro2. Or go on the run with both cameras and hope I stay ahead of the misses' wrath.

View attachment 36052

View attachment 36052
very interesting to read and yes I did read more articles and saw many movies on YouTube. But you made it all very clear and although it’s a personal opinion it really helped me in my search for a new camera (no hurry, maybe I like the search more than to have)

Well put, and an interesting read.

My own little miniature version of that dynamic is the old X100 vs. the XT1. There's no question which I'd rather be shooting 95% of the time, but when I find myself using the X100, the smart thing to do is stop fighting it, or wishing it were the XT1, and just use it for what it's good for.

Back