Something a little different

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
I spent a very pleasant weekend at a woodworking school in the US midwest this past weekend. Wonderful place, with an upbeat, family atmosphere, and a very well equipped, well organized layout. I left my good photography gear at home, taking only the S95, but even that never came out. My workshop was all about pyrography, or woodburning. The instructor was a Colorado-based artist who makes her living creating large, custom art pieces. I've worked in this medium for years, but I jumped at the chance to learn from a world class artist, who is also a genuinely nice person. I had a blast, and it was a very productive weekend, sandwiched by a 5 hour drive each way.

Marc Adams's school is amazing. Started 25 years ago as a one-man operation, it has expanded to a multi-building complex employing a couple dozen people, and drawing students and instructors from all over the world. Roy Underhill of "The Woodwright's Shop" fame is one of this year's guest instructors. One couple drove 1,800 miles to attend the school this weekend, and another recent student flew in from Ireland. One of the workshops being offered this year is called "Photographing Your Work". I'm already planning to go back next year for their very popular and very extensive "Building an Acoustic Guitar". A 6 day, 60+ hour marathon that ends with each student carrying out a hand-made instrument of their own. I've long dabbled in woodworking, and I'm cleaning out my garage and reorganizing it to get spooled up. I came away from the school inspired!

Back