Leica Sonnars old and new

Well, it's a pre-war Sonnar, so I guess it's safe.

Dad with the dirty Sonnar (Agfa Superpan 200 + Walz K2 filter)
DB131005.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Visit to Fort Rammekens with dirty Sonnar (desaturated Fuji Superia 200)
DB131028.jpg

Zeeland Beach with dirty Sonnar (Fuji Superia 200)
DB131036.jpg

And some Vandalism from Fort St.Andries with clean Sonnar(Agfa Superpan 200 + Walz K2 filter)
FA131113.jpg

Are those with the Contax?

I only have one F1.5 Sonnar that did not clean up well, a bizarre "276" batch that had been through the war. It was in Contax mount, but had a strange rear group. Glass and cement was destroyed on it, swapped it for a J-3 rear.

Jupiter-3 with leaky Zorki-I

Operation Pheasant 2011 event

OPW110526.jpg

My (p)ride, 1/4 ton truck, command & reconnaissance, Willys MB.
165th Signal Photo Company
OPW110533.jpg

OPW110537.jpg

Still want a real Sonnar in LTM one day.

Epson R-D1 with Jupiter 3, Roll on the Meuse Tour 2009 (one of the few surviving digital images after catastrophic HDD failure)

rotm01.jpg

The original Wartime Sonnars in Leica Mount: the focus mounts are not as well made or as well thought out as the Jupiter-3 focus mount. I've taken quite a few apart, have two proper wartime LTM Sonnars and one made just after the War.

Here are mine, compared to the modern Summicron (non-APO), all at 1 meter (MFD for the Sonnar and Jupiter 3) and wide-open.

First the benchmark, my 2013 production 50mm f/2 Summicron M (non-APO), 6 bit coding enabled on M Monochrom Focus is pretty much dead-on.

View attachment 6349
Summicron by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Now the 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar at 1 meter, wide-open, coded to Leica 50mm Summilux Pre-Asph. Back focusing just a tad, but focus shift starts to work in its favor and it holds true focus at f/1.5 all the way to infinity.

View attachment 6350
Sonnar by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Now the 1963 Zomz 5cm f/1.5 Jupiter 3, again at f/1.5 and 1 meter, coded to Leica 50mm Summilux Pre-Asph. Splits the middle in terms of back focus between the Sonnar and the Summicron, but this one needs to be stopped down to f/2 before it will focus accurately at infinity.

View attachment 6351
Jupiter by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Jupiter-3 on Epson R-D1
Halfway between f/4 and f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/125th or 1/60th

Robot03.jpg

My "Luftwaffen-eigentum" Robot II camera is nearly ready for action after returning from a repair and maintenance overhaul at Robot-kameradienst in Dusseldorf. Bought the lens for it last week and I'm only waiting for a film feeder "T" cartridge.
Got the camera for free...but I've already sunk around €250 into it to get it ready to shoot. ;)
The US Veteran who brought it back to the US after the World War 2 was thrilled to hear that I was getting it back to fully working condition.

I should add a picture. What else is there to do in Britain this time of year then to take a picture of the Mrs laughing at the telly whilst Hubby plays with the bokeh from the sonnar 50 at f1.5 and his new mistress M6.

12161540574_b7d138451a_o.jpg

Christmas2013bokeh by Neil Haughey, on Flickr

Lucky that she threw her head back slightly taking out any focus shift!

I must also apologise for taking nearly a month to get round to posting a Christmas image.
Ilford XP2 shot at 800 iso.

Thanks Brian. It is definitely a prized possession. Everyone showed their work and while I am a mediocre photographer compared to some of those guys, nobody asked any questions about lenses other than with my Sonnar shots.

Back