Sony Sony A350 is out for delivery

But I still can't find my CF card or the SD > CF adapter I had. The only thing I can think of is they were in the pocket of a camera bag I got rid of, but then I can't image myself not digging through that bag thoroughly before I sent it out. I'll have to use the card in the Maxxum5D for now. It's going to be a pain to keep swapping it back and forth. One day I'm sure I'll grab one of the cameras to take out and forget the card in the other one! :laugh1: Guess I'll have to buy one.

In the search process I did find one Sony and two Kastar batteries along with the USB charger leftover from when I had the Sony A700. They're charged and ready to go.

Excellent. Looking forward to your impression between this A350 and the Maxxum 5D
Well, it's essentially the same camera! Minolta DNA is very evident. Controls/menu/screens are virtually identical. A few more features like live-view, and some buttons have been shifted a bit here or there. Biggest change to controls is the lack of a second dial. On the 5D it only controls white balance anyway. They moved it to the function button. They're about the same size, so smaller than your 7D. Other than that 🤷‍♂️I'll try and get it out tomorrow.

LOL, I forgot to mention the tilting screen as opposed to the Maxxum's stationary one. Shows you how much I use it.

Well, it's essentially the same camera! Minolta DNA is very evident. Controls/menu/screens are virtually identical. A few more features like live-view, and some buttons have been shifted a bit here or there. Biggest change to controls is the lack of a second dial. On the 5D it only controls white balance anyway. They moved it to the function button. They're about the same size, so smaller than your 7D. Other than that 🤷‍♂️I'll try and get it out tomorrow.

LOL, I forgot to mention the tilting screen as opposed to the Maxxum's stationary one. Shows you how much I use it.

Most interest to me is to see the output of the 14.2 mp CCD. If it still has that characteristic CCD look like the 6mp one, then that would be a viable option as a replacement in case the 7D ever goes out.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 211807.jpg

Took some shots, not my best stuff. This camera is less impressive at ISO 800 than the 5D. Will take a bit more time to sort it out. Definitely has a CCD look to the colors though.

Some bird shots:

52743420914_a24169b4be_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC00598 by telecast, on Flickr

Took some shots, not my best stuff. This camera is less impressive at ISO 800 than the 5D. Will take a bit more time to sort it out. Definitely has a CCD look to the colors though.

Some bird shots:

View attachment 372026DSC00598 by telecast, on Flickr

You are making that 100-400 look good! Not bad for a potentially erratically moving squirrel.

Nicely framed, Tim.

What's that white spot above his eye? Snow? Dandruff? Bad pixel?

- K
Might be snow or a pixel. Doubt it's dandruff, but only his hairdresser knows for sure! (if that sounds familiar, you're as old as me!)

I'll keep an eye out on other shots to see if it repeats.

This thing has a feature that starts focusing the lens as soon as you put your eye to the viewfinder. Like all VF sensors though, it assumes any light blockage is an eye and starts to focus. Kind of a pain so I turned it off. Seems like a good waste of battery. On the other hand, if someone were to try shooting BIF with it, seems like it'd be an advantage in reducing AF time.

And if anyone's wondering, I got it from MPB, shipped, with 180 warranty, for the princely sum of $83. A lot more fun than dinner and a movie, and cheaper.
And it’s a CCD sensor? Huh, I didn’t realize that Sony was using those at all, and that anyone other than Leica even made a CCD sensor greater than 10mp.

Back