Sony Sony A5 Speculation

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
There is a post over on sonyalpharumors.com speculating about the rumored Sony A5:
Lots of folks think it might be an RF-type body like the A6xxx series with a FF sensor at a price competitive with the RF and the Z5. I was reading the comments (because it makes me feel better about myself) and I came across a guy who said “all I want is the A7 II with updated innards”. It took all my self-control not to point out that was the A7 III.

Maybe he wanted A7 III but with A7 II's crappier usability?

Hmm. A rf-style FF is something not many makers are doing so frankly I'm mildly intrigued.

Leicafolk have speculated these matters for a decade now. :) I think if A5 is a RF-style camera it has to be bigger than a6 series if it wants to include IBIS. A small camera also has less room for heat spreaders so there might be that much-talked-about overheating going on as well.

Maybe he wanted A7 III but with A7 II's crappier usability?

Hmm. A rf-style FF is something not many makers are doing so frankly I'm mildly intrigued.

Leicafolk have speculated these matters for a decade now. :) I think if A5 is a RF-style camera it has to be bigger than a6 series if it wants to include IBIS. A small camera also has less room for heat spreaders so there might be that much-talked-about overheating going on as well.
The thinking was an A6xxx body, priced in the RF to Z5 range without IBIS. It would be an interesting question if Sony could fit FF IBIS in a body that small. They are already IBIS-limited by the small size of FE mount relative to the size of a FF sensor. Despite the ergonomic complaints about the A6xxx series, they do seem to sell them at a fair clip. Some slower pancakes and the right price and I have little doubt a FF version would sell. OTOH, the original A7 body was smaller and lighter. Put some upgraded IBIS-less innards in that and I might be curious. I do speculate that Sony will eventually have to change their FF mount to accommodate better IBIS and newer optical designs. Make a really good adapter to the FE lenses and the transition would work just fine. As for heat, they could just limit the video capabilities in their low end body. As they ratchet up the video specs available, it is obvious that very good video, really good stills, and small size is a 2 out of 3 proposition.

Back