Sony Showcase Sony A7 and 7r Image thread

OK, a few from my recently acquired A7.

First with the FE 35/2.8 - one sharp and superbly drawing little mother on the A7...

"Last lock tonight"
DSC00276-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"Camden Gent"
DSC00241-Edit.jpg

"220 Arlington"
DSC00211.jpg

Crop from above
DSC00211-2.jpg

And a last couple with a Leica C-90 Elmar on a Novoflex adapter.

_DSC0204-2.jpg

_DSC0209-Edit.jpg

I hadn't checking this thread in a while, maybe largely out of self preservation, avoiding temptation and all. But checking in, I'm really impressed. Particularly with how well some of you are doing with adapted lenses. The native 55 looks awesome and the 35 is no slouch either. Probably just a matter of time until I get into this system, although it could be a relatively long time until there's some more good native glass to draw me in. In the meantime, it's great to see what all of you are doing with this gear.

-Ray

Ray

I understand your point. There are a number of obvious lenses missing at present. Firstly, a decent wide-angle, although it is rumoured that Sony are about to announce a f4 WA lens. And a macro would be good too. Beyond that it would be nice to have a longer zoom or prime in the 300mm range, rather than the insipid f4 70-200 that is planned.

LouisB

Ray

I understand your point. There are a number of obvious lenses missing at present. Firstly, a decent wide-angle, although it is rumoured that Sony are about to announce a f4 WA lens. And a macro would be good too. Beyond that it would be nice to have a longer zoom or prime in the 300mm range, rather than the insipid f4 70-200 that is planned.

LouisB

I'd personally like something in the 21-24 range and a good portrait prime in the 120-150 range. I wouldn't ever see a full frame system fully replacing my m43 gear - it's soooo good at the really long end and the 7-14 wide would be tough to beat in full frame without being huge. But there are some pretty reasonable sized 24's in the DSLR world and I think I could deal with a larger than I'm used to portrait lens. But a 3-4 lens prime kit would work really well for me with a camera like this. I seriously doubt I'd invest in legacy glass to use with it, as good a job as some of you are doing with it. It's not something I have lying around and I don't think I'd spend a lot of money on gear that could only be used for MF anymore.

-Ray

First image captured with my new a7r and the 55mm f/1.8 lens. I have to say Im impressed. This is 6400 iso with minimal sharpening and minimal noise reduction in LR 5.3 (I have it turned off in camera). All I can say is wow. Plus Madie makes a great subject hehe.
12020812304_f607684316_b.jpg

20140118-DSC00014 by =Tom=, on Flickr

you werent in austin today were you? LOL!
i was at a red light, and a car pulls up next to me and *BOOP!* Up jumps a frenchie just liek Madie in the window and frogysmiles at me just before they get their green arrow to turn. lol

you werent in austin today were you? LOL!
i was at a red light, and a car pulls up next to me and *BOOP!* Up jumps a frenchie just liek Madie in the window and frogysmiles at me just before they get their green arrow to turn. lol

Ha! I wish. Im in Chicago where we got more snow and it was like 10 degrees. Austin sounds great right now :)

I hadn't checking this thread in a while, maybe largely out of self preservation, avoiding temptation and all. But checking in, I'm really impressed. Particularly with how well some of you are doing with adapted lenses. The native 55 looks awesome and the 35 is no slouch either. Probably just a matter of time until I get into this system, although it could be a relatively long time until there's some more good native glass to draw me in. In the meantime, it's great to see what all of you are doing with this gear.

-Ray

I believe we will see more polished A7(r) successors soon. I hope the next generation has the Olympus IBIS, a quiter shutter, better performance (fps) and more options to assign funtions to dedicated buttons. As things are now, the A7(r) bodies are good, but there is obvious room for improvement. In comparison, an Olympus EM-1 feels like a much more polished product. I said it elsewhere, the A7r has some similarities with a Mustang Shelby. A very powerful enginge/sensor under the hood but not all of the rest satisfies the connoisseur.

Great body now, only going to get better. Great glass now and later.

I'm happy enough with the camera as-is, and I *love* the FE55/1.8. The FE35 which I also own is a solid lens too, but I still have some "I wishes" about it. Not so with the FE55. I might replace the FE35 one day down the road but for now it's a keeper too.

View attachment 84560
Budding photographer on a photo walk by whiskyvictor, on Flickr

Sometimes I find myself dumbing down the resolution for portraits with the 55/1.8 although that's not always for any other reason than I am a sucker for the film look.

I believe we will see more polished A7(r) successors soon. I hope the next generation has the Olympus IBIS, a quiter shutter, better performance (fps) and more options to assign funtions to dedicated buttons. As things are now, the A7(r) bodies are good, but there is obvious room for improvement. In comparison, an Olympus EM-1 feels like a much more polished product. I said it elsewhere, the A7r has some similarities with a Mustang Shelby. A very powerful enginge/sensor under the hood but not all of the rest satisfies the connoisseur.
everything philip bloom mentioned they change re: aliasing & moire, and finally getting rid of avchd for something better, i agree with. it would make for an awesomely small, light rig.

if any of you were interested in the video side, here's one he did some lens whacking on:

(Sent from another Galaxy - Tapatalk.)

I just don't know if any successors of the A7 will ever feature an IBIS system. Some have expressed the idea that the mass of a larger sensor would limit the system's effectiveness and that might well be true, but I think that the bigger issue is whether the lens mount is simply under-engineered to combine both IBIS and the full-frame sensor. If you watch the IBIS working on an Olympus you can see that the sensor has quite a large range of motion. The full-frame sensor in the E-mount appears to been almost shoehorned in and I just don't know if there is space available to let it "float" within the mount like on an Olympus.

sony_a7_vs_e-m5.jpg

I'd personally like something in the 21-24 range and a good portrait prime in the 120-150 range. I wouldn't ever see a full frame system fully replacing my m43 gear - it's soooo good at the really long end and the 7-14 wide would be tough to beat in full frame without being huge. But there are some pretty reasonable sized 24's in the DSLR world and I think I could deal with a larger than I'm used to portrait lens. But a 3-4 lens prime kit would work really well for me with a camera like this. I seriously doubt I'd invest in legacy glass to use with it, as good a job as some of you are doing with it. It's not something I have lying around and I don't think I'd spend a lot of money on gear that could only be used for MF anymore.

-Ray

Ray,

The more you use the A7/r, the more you think "A Leica Elmarit M 24 ASPH, or 21 ASPH would really, really work well on this camera..."

LouisB

Yeah, I've seen some nice work done with adapted lenses, but I simply don't see myself buying a system based on the availability of manual focus lenses. Maybe one at the super-wide end, but for the most part, it's gonna take some native glass for me to get seriously interested...

-Ray

I just don't know if any successors of the A7 will ever feature an IBIS system. Some have expressed the idea that the mass of a larger sensor would limit the system's effectiveness and that might well be true, but I think that the bigger issue is whether the lens mount is simply under-engineered to combine both IBIS and the full-frame sensor. If you watch the IBIS working on an Olympus you can see that the sensor has quite a large range of motion. The full-frame sensor in the E-mount appears to been almost shoehorned in and I just don't know if there is space available to let it "float" within the mount like on an Olympus.

sony_a7_vs_e-m5.jpg

After playing with an A7r for a week, I think the bodies are really quite good. Sony does have a habit of making smaller bodies than other manufacturers (considering sensor size), but they really make the best setup (ergonomically) with manual focus. IBIS aside, they're damn nice cameras and to me more intuitive than the OM-D EM-5. I can't comment on the EM-1 though.

Back