Sony Showcase Sony A7 and 7r Image thread

Thanks Chris. I definitely have no qualms about the output. :2thumbs:

The camera itself on the other hand was like an exact 50/50 mix of stuff I really liked, and stuff I wasn't as crazy about. If possible I think I'm actually more confused after renting and using it for a couple days, lol.

I'm with you. The ergonomics of the camera are out of whack with my hand. I hate the "feel" of the shutter button. The shutter button also doesn't fall naturally under my index finger. A couple of the FN buttons also require finger yoga for me to be able to reach them.

The Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II is turning out to be a favourite for me..... here's one with the 55 1.8 though, trying it out after the latest A7R firmware update.

That 35mm f/1.2 is definitely a very nice lens. A little front heavy on the A7 but fun being able to go to f/1.2 on FF. And like most Voigtlander lenses I've used, it has a very nice rendering quality I liked quite a bit. (y)

The 55mm FE lens is also extremely impressive... the Sony/Zeiss partnership has been doing some great things with this and the 35mm optics on the RX1.

I'm with you. The ergonomics of the camera are out of whack with my hand. I hate the "feel" of the shutter button. The shutter button also doesn't fall naturally under my index finger. A couple of the FN buttons also require finger yoga for me to be able to reach them.

Yep, that's it in a nutshell! It's just not a comfortable camera for me, reminds me of my experience with the OM-D EM-5... fits like someone else's glove :tongue:

I still enjoyed shooting with it, just not ergonomically.

A7(R) is much better then EM5 :) I find it even better then EM1 (except the start-up lag) as I hate on/off button on the left... I like to operate w. one (right) hand. Hopefully A7(R) start up lag is better w/ firmware...

Yep, that's it in a nutshell! It's just not a comfortable camera for me, reminds me of my experience with the OM-D EM-5... fits like someone else's glove :tongue:

I still enjoyed shooting with it, just not ergonomically.

Sony a7/a7R panel discussion w/ Brian Smith, Gabriel Biderman, and Mark Weir recorded live at B&H:

[video=youtube;8YGwO9KKW_E]

They show off their results from traveling with the a7 and a7R. Per SAR:
38:00 min Mark confirms Sony will launch very fast FE lenses.
39:40 min Mark confirms we won’t have long to wait to see the new lenses! And he said the people who makes Sony suggestions about lenses will be very happy :)
47:30 min Mark answers about the light leak issue
54:50 min Mark says Sony wants to make cameras that have been never made before. And you will see more of that shortly!
1:14:00 min Mark says they will be releasing more “Servo-based” zoom lenses.

7r + 2470/2.8z more toys

13264551285_8438eb629e_b.jpg

13264702673_3b18f2650c_b.jpg

13264710973_cf5c668790_b.jpg

13264711883_ccf1009fe2_b.jpg

First one is the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 II, the other three are all the 55mm FE lens. (y)
i regretted selling my voigt 35 f1,4, but there's a f1,2?! i've definitely got to check that out. do you have any shots with it on an apsc?

A couple of the FN buttons also require finger yoga for me to be able to reach them.
haha.. i like that description - finger yoga.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

i regretted selling my voigt 35 f1,4, but there's a f1,2?! i've definitely got to check that out. do you have any shots with it on an apsc?

Indeed. Fair warning to you, it's at least 2-3 times the size of the 35mm f/1.4 lens for that extra 1/3 of a stop :tongue:

No shots on an APS-C since I was only renting it, but I know others here and have that lens that they use in NEX and probably Fuji as well.

Very nice lens, I liked the rendering and build quality quite a bit. The only downsides were the heavy weight (very nose heavy for a mirrorless cam) and very strong vignetting wide open. It lends a nice feel to some images but obviously it's something to be aware of. It doesn't vignette as much stopped down even as little f/1.4 and mostly disappears by f/2.0, so I only found it noticeable on the wide open shots.

oh, no.. the very small form factor was something that appealed to me. two to three times larger wouldn't fly. so, i regret even more having sold my f1,4. lol

35 1.2 is bigger then 1.4 but it comes w/ better rendering w/ A7(R)... 35 1.4 advantage is small size but it has harsher bokeh. The corners might be better w/ the bigger lens esp stopped down. B&H has one used one for $770:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_45ba236b_nokton_35mm_f_1_2_aspherical.html

Also there are 2 versions of 1.2. First version listed above has more onion bokeh compared to the second version.

wait.. which version has more onion bokeh compared to which?

edit: i just looked and saw the size. that's totally out of the question. no way to pocket that.

The 35/1.2 II really is a lovely lens - it's not particularly large (about the size of the 55/1.8) but it is much heavier than that lens. I find it balances well on the A7r, but it's not a 'lightweight' solution. But I d love that fast 35 look - my 35L was a form favorite on my 5DII. If Sony/Zeiss ever do a native FE 35/1.4 I may add it to the kit.

A vote for the 35mm 1.2 II Voigtlander from me too, fast becoming a fave on both the Leica M and Sony A7R. It balances well on the A7R and is on mine far more than the Zeiss 55 1.8 FE despite having to manual focus.

Back