Sony Showcase Sony A7 and 7r Image thread

Been having a good time with the A7 - I have yet to buy any AF lens for it - the manual focus M-Mount lenses seem to do just fine for me :) This was with the 90mm Summicron pre-ASPH at f2.8 I think :)
(Linked to my Flickr)

Cheers,
Dave
did you get the coding from the new flickr?

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

A7+CV21/1.8

DSC00995.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Interview with Naoki Miyagawa, designer of the 55mm f1.8 & 70-200 f4

In E-mount, SEL 24mm f/1.8, Sonnar T * 35mm f/2.8 ZA FE, and FE Sonnar T * 55mm f/1.8 ZA all have similar optical formula. We had a choice between several optical formulas, including the widespread Planar. The Planar is a practical design for its simplicity of implementation and excellent optical performance with easy to obtain a large aperture lens. By cons, it has two drawbacks:.. Because symmetry is essential, all lenses must move simultaneously when doing development. Secondly, it tends to keep prisoners stray light. The Sonnar allows internal focusing and naturally redirects stray light towards the outside, which provides a better micro-contrast and better definition of the Sonnar."

"In addition to trade agreements, engineers Carl Zeiss help us a lot from their experience of quality control. We are Japanese, but the Germans are even more stringent than us!" A little later, he confided to us that "in Japan, regardless of the brand for which we work, almost all optical engineers are fascinated by Carl Zeiss and Leica. Besides producing technically superb goals, there is a touch and emotion in the rendering of German picture we would love to discover the secret. "During the conversation, he recognized that" yes, it is quite ironic that the German engineers apply the very Japanese concept of Wabi-Sabi better then Japanese. "

"At the moment, Japan, and especially Sony, we focus primarily on the definition and bokeh. With 36 million pixels on the Alpha 7R, we have no room for error. For bokeh We have worked to minimize what we call the "onion rings", these halos around light concentric rings of light blur background. should not neglect the bokeh, especially for a goal as the Sonnar 55 mm f/1.8 which is especially designed to be used at full aperture. We have, for example, designed the diaphragm so that it is as round as possible, for a very vague and creamy background. This is much more difficult because we think that adding aspheric surfaces in our targets for correcting chromatic aberration and coma, we tend to get blurred backgrounds ... a little too clear! "

"Leica, for us, Japanese engineers, is a legendary name. I do not know if my pronunciation is good, but I think it's Peter Karbe . I agree entirely with his philosophy when he explains that opening is for depth of field, not to manage the light. " (Mr. Karbe, current director of the department of Leica optics, was the father of Summilux he was holding.) A story that ultimately reminiscent of young Naoki, who would draw the dream "if I had not time constraints or budget, a 85 mm f/1.4 or even f/1.2 in mount E. One day perhaps ... "

just watched it. omg. the low light performance of the a7s is looking awesome.

"A7s characteristics
ISO 50-409600
extreme high dynamic range and color fidelity (So Sony says without to share numbers yet)
4K recording with no pixel binning
4K recording on external records only (internal recording only Full HD)
4:2:2 color sampling with external recorder
The “S” stays for “sensivity."

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Shame about the 4K aspect only doing external recording. The ability to grab 8MP still frames would've been interesting, even though I'm totally not a video guy. Otherwise a very interesting camera.

the gh4 has a compressed option, but thats a tiny sensor which will give off less heat. when you're rigging your camera with follow-focus, matte box, etc. anyway, it's not really a big deal. but, the external 4k recording being the only source for recording (since there's no internal 4k recording, not even prores) can be a bit scary.

Roger at lensrentals posted his FE 35mm 2.8 review:
Sony A7R: A Rising Tide Lifts All the Boats?

Just in case you missed that, the Sony A7R with 35mm f/2.8 lens shot at f/2.8 outresolved the Nikon D800e with either the Nikon 35mm f/1.4G shot at f/4 or the Zeiss 50mm f/2 shot at f/5.6. Stopped down to f/4 to even the playing field, the Sony was clearly higher. In fact, the only lens-camera combinations we’ve seen with that kind of MTF50 is the Zeiss Otus 55mm mounted to a D800e.

Back