Sony A7 and Zeiss 35/2.8 vs Fuji X-E2 and Fuji 23/1.4

Amin

Hall of Famer
These should both be great options for those of us who like the 35mm equivalent.

The Sony sensor is a little over a stop better in terms of light collecting area, but the Fuji lens is two stops faster.

Meanwhile the Sony combo will be about two stops more expensive :tongue:.

I wonder how the size difference will pan out.

I recommend highly RX1 if you can get a deal esp w/ Sony A7 upgraders... So far it is the smallest fast lens option (maybe the slowest AF of these but it af even in very low light at night):

Size wise RX1 35mm f/2 ~ Sony A7+35 2.8 ~ M43 + Oly 17mm 1.8 are smaller then Fuji + 23 1.4...

Also so far smallest 90mm combo is m43 + 45mm 1.8... It is hard to beat m43 sizes, it will stay as my tele lens system...

The Sony A7 looks great but the size of lenses is a bit disturbing!
The 55 and the zooms look pretty big, but the 35 f2.8 looks as small or smaller than the RX1 lens. And there are some nice legacy wide angles that could work really well with this camera that aren't all that large at all...

-Ray

55mm 1.8 Sonar is similar size & price to Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 Sonnar. Sony 50mm 1.8 oss is also similar size but much cheaper. I don't know if 50mm can be modified to be used in FF...

I wish they'd gone the other route with the A7, and came out with a 35mm f/1.4 that's a stop *faster* than the RX1 instead of a stop slower 35mm f/2.8. I'm assuming they did that in a desire to make a small lens. Unfortunately, for a general use camera, f/2.8 is not fast enough for me.

If there was a good fast 28mm or 35mm lens available I think I'd be interested in an A7 to replace my RX1 if for no other reason than the viewfinder is built in *and* doesn't eat up the hot shoe. :2thumbs:

Pricing wise A7+35mm will cost around $2500:
- The A7 body only costs $1698 as leaked on Samys.
- The Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 prime lens will cost 800 Euro and in US $800

Also so far smallest 90mm combo is m43 + 45mm 1.8... It is hard to beat m43 sizes, it will stay as my tele lens system...

I'm thinking of using my E-M5 the same way, keeping the 12-50 kit and the telephoto lenses an macro setup, but getting rid of my PL25mm to help finance a DP2 Merrill. I haven't quite made the decision, and the 25 is one of my favorite lenses, but it's something I've thought of. The other items mentioned are not presently on my short list, but that can change rather rapidly.

The RX1 sensor - Sonnar lens combo rendering can not be touched by anything Fuji, I`m afraid.

maybe, but photography is more than a 'sensor and lens'. we're at a point on the technology curve where a whole bunch of gear from different manufacturers in different formats affords IQ no one couldve dreamt about 5 years ago. for me its no longer about squeezing ever more amounts of IQ out of gear. its also about user experience, the fun of photography. and for me personally, i couldnt get that out of a camera without a viewfinder, esp when that camera costs three times more than my dog, whom i love very very much. ):

I can't resist here, but the 22mm f2 from Canon is less than $100 and is a great 35mm eq. lens. I know it's not in the same league as an RX1 w/the spectacular Zeiss lens, but it is a very good lens--haven't read anything yet about the Fuji 23mm yet, but I'm sure it's awesome too if as good as the 35mm.

maybe, but photography is more than a 'sensor and lens'. we're at a point on the technology curve where a whole bunch of gear from different manufacturers in different formats affords IQ no one couldve dreamt about 5 years ago. for me its no longer about squeezing ever more amounts of IQ out of gear. its also about user experience, the fun of photography. and for me personally, i couldnt get that out of a camera without a viewfinder, esp when that camera costs three times more than my dog, whom i love very very much. ):

I agree, there are many capable cameras these days producing good enough files. But then there are the Sony RX1(r) and the Sigma Merrills which outshine anything else as far as file quality and rendering is concerned. Evident without pixel peeping, and easily visible even on relatively small web page uploads.

i can agree with you on the IQ of those cameras and also at the same time conclude that the IQ difference does not make up for the deficiencies of those cameras in 'user experience'. i can, and do, also conclude that for me, after some baseline IQ, user experience is more important than extra IQ. bonding with your camera, enjoying the process of photography, putting a smile on your face when you pick up your gear--all that, imo leads to better photographs, though they might have a few less lines of resolution than another. i'm glad you like the rx1 and support you reaching a different conclusion than i.

I agree, there are many capable cameras these days producing good enough files. But then there are the Sony RX1(r) and the Sigma Merrills which outshine anything else as far as file quality and rendering is concerned. Evident without pixel peeping, and easily visible even on relatively small web page uploads.

I just don't think that this is consistently the case, and not at web resolutions such as 1024 or 1600 pixels. The Sigma Merrills in particular are cameras that I have researched with the thought of owning one myself.

One of the big realisations relating to cameras that has formed in my mind is that once a certain level of technical competency is reached the differences in output from one camera to another are subtle at best and are more subject to personal taste than an extra half stop of DR or some extra lines/mm of resolution. The problem with technical image quality is that it isn't linearly proportional to aesthetic image quality.

Back