Sony Sony A7 as a second camera

That’s interesting, because one of the big reasons to buy FF is to get a stop or two, noise-wise. If I go over to DPR and look at the studio images, I can directly compare the A7 and the EM1 ii raw files at higher iso. There’s a difference but it’s not day and night.
Yeah, that's why I think it was my lack of skill more than anything. I still haven't figured out why my astro picks from the Sony APS-C cameras were better. :hmmm:

I would go for the A7 II for IBIS and also adaptability to metabones, techart, Sigma adapter, etc. You can get cheaper/smaller lenses to adapt. Thanks to Samyang and Tamron, more affordable and smaller lenses are coming too. I recommend 7artisans lenses for small and cheap m lenses with af metabones... Sony has also 28/50/85 1.8 lenses, 50mm might be slow to af...

Also the original A7 had some sensor reflection which was fixed on II. I think they are similar tech sensors eg RX1, A7 & A7 II. A7 III has a new sensor with higher ISO/dynamic range...

I keep putting used A7 in the cart and leaving them there. :rofl: I am really curious but also kinda know i’ll go right back to my mu43 stuff because of my lens collection. I have to think about what situations would I grab the A7 and not the EM1 ii running out the door.

I plan to own a used M9 at some point in the future and have, bit by bit over time as part of this (trust me, very) long term strategy, got some used M mount lenses off eBay. It's the thought of using these lenses with the Techart on a used Sony FF body costing relatively much less than a used M9 that piques the curiosity. Not gonna though, I have too much gear as it is, so gotta stay the course.
Sir, I admire your dedication and restraint. If I had M mount lenses that I could put on a used A7/A7 ii body, I would have already bought a body, and another as a back up.

just a couple days ago there were DEMO ones at one of the main NY photo places for $809 (but I also think new bodies were $1,199...instead of $1,399).....I should have grabbed one. I'm not in a rush to buy a GOOD condition camera at that price....if I could SEE it, that would be a different story

Last edited:
just a couple days ago there were DEMO ones at one of the main NY photo places for $809 (but I also think new bodies were $1,199...instead of $1,399).....I should have grabbed one. I'm not in a rush to buy a GOOD condition camera at that price....if I could SEE it, that would be a different story
There are some excellent A7 ii for 900 and A7 for 600 at Adorama.

The funny thing is that my inability to decide between the smaller, cheaper A7 and the IBIS A7ii has really prevented me from buying anything. I've really decided that if I do get either it will be to use older MF lenses.

I guess Sony sales are over... Here is a coupon from KEH:
062518-Digital_Desktop.jpg

Ding, ding, ding! The 12% KEH coupon let me get an A7 body for $527. Add $23 for the adapter and I can use my old K mount primes that I could never bring myself to sell. Let’s see if I can channel my old Pentax MX. Honorable mention to Rayvonn for making me think of my old lenses.

I dug up three Pentax M lenses: M50 1.7, M50 4 macro, and the M28 3.5. I’m curious how these old designs will work with a 24 MP. I also have a Konica Hexanon AR 50 1.7, but that’s another adapter.

I used only legacy lenses on my digital cameras for a long time. Most of them are gone, but I still have a couple I pull out from time to time.

I did the same. Shot with legacy lenses till my eyes started getting a little bad. I may have to grab a couple and try them with the focus peaking.

I dug up three Pentax M lenses: M50 1.7, M50 4 macro, and the M28 3.5. I’m curious how these old designs will work with a 24 MP. I also have a Konica Hexanon AR 50 1.7, but that’s another adapter.

Jonas Rask uses legacy lenses on the GFX with great results. So they should do well on the Sony 24mp sensor.

So my bargain A7 came in. Lots of worn edges but it works fine. Since today was 12% off lenses I ordered the Rokinon 50 1.4 as well. So i’m kinda back to the RX1 but with an EVF. The shutter certainly announces its presence. :eek:

Last edited:
Back