Sony Sony A7 as a second camera

Reopening this thread. I ended up getting a really nice used A7 and the Samyang 35. Nice combo and I like using it. It's like the RX1 I had with a slower lens but a nice EVF. Given that I'm only using normal/wides on this body (teles on fuji or mu43) the lack of IBIS had been not real problem. I'm still looking at the A7II because it's only $900 new and even cheaper used, but from what I've read the IQ is the same as the A7 and their is only a small improvement in performance. I can't even formulate a question here, I'm just musing about the cheap A7ii out there. I gave the A7R a look, but that's still expensive.

Last edited:
Reopening this thread. I ended up getting a really nice used A7 and the Samyang 35. Nice combo and I like using it. It's like the RX1 I had with a slower lens but a nice EVF. Given that I'm only using normal/wides on this body (teles on fuji or mu43) the lack of IBIS had been not real problem. I'm still looking at the A7II because it's only $900 new and even cheaper used, but from what I've read the IQ is the same as the A7 and their is only a small improvement in performance. I can't even formulate a question here, I'm just musing about the cheap A7ii out there. I gave the A7R a look, but that's still expensive.
I have the A7 II - and it's a nice enough camera, but just be aware of the fact that it's considerably (IMO) bulkier than the A7. If size and weight of the combo are important to you, the A7 may fit the bill even better than the A7 II. Having I.B.I.S. is nice - especially since the shutter on the A7 is raucous, the one on the A7 II a bit less so, but still loud and far from well dampened. I like the A7 II because it's an even more desirable platform for adapting lenses - but I've caught myself contemplating getting an A7 because of the size difference. But I'll not put any more money in the Sony FE system ...

M.

Things I like better about the A7 are the metal dials, smaller size profile and what I believe to be better low ISO images. What I don't like about the A7 is poor low light handling (EVF/LCD gets grainy and choppy), plastic mount (fixable with aftermarket replacement), light reflections at night (non-fixable), lack of modern OSPDAF (can't use AF adapters) and clanky shutter.

The A7II improvements are enough though (OSPDAF, IBIS, no light reflections, metal mount, slightly dampened shutter, that I'd happily go for the A7II.

Last edited:
The size and weight was one reason I got the A7 over the A7 ii. With the Sanyang 35, it's a small package that does streetshooter-style work. The mount looks metal, however. It was used, so maybe it had been replaced. To be honest, the low light noise is not noticeably better than the XE3 or the XH1. At best it might have been a stop, and I'm seeing less than that. This shutter is indeed "raucous" and I have to try not to laugh when I hear it go off. I still kinda like it, however, as a mock fixed lens camera. I think the A7 II is really just gas, and I might be better off getting the 56 for the Fujis if I feel the urge to spend. Always good to talk it out, guys.

The size and weight was one reason I got the A7 over the A7 ii. With the Sanyang 35, it's a small package that does streetshooter-style work. The mount looks metal, however. It was used, so maybe it had been replaced. To be honest, the low light noise is not noticeably better than the XE3 or the XH1. At best it might have been a stop, and I'm seeing less than that. This shutter is indeed "raucous" and I have to try not to laugh when I hear it go off. I still kinda like it, however, as a mock fixed lens camera. I think the A7 II is really just gas, and I might be better off getting the 56 for the Fujis if I feel the urge to spend. Always good to talk it out, guys.

To be honest I've been tempted to pick up the original A7S, mainly because it does better lowlight over the A7, I believe it has a faster refresh rate in low light (EVF/LCD doesn't get choppy), comes with a metal mount, has very good high ISO (only 12mp) and it was the first Sony FF MILC to have a silent shutter. Maybe I'll start looking around for one! :D

I just sold my a7ii after acquiring an A7s. The size, silent shutter and better high ISO performance sold me. I primarily shoot manual lenses so I'm not missing the AF of the 7ii yet. The A7s was also the first model to get the metal mount. 12mp Resolution is perfectly adequate for portraits and general shooting. Video quality is amazing. I don't have an external recorder so no 4k, but even the mp4 files look very good.
Yesterday Adorama had an incredible deal on the A7ii bundle. $998 with a 128gb extreme card and gorilla tripod. For anyone who primarily uses AF or adapts EF lenses for the AF and desires very high image quality I would recommend the A7ii. Otherwise the A7s is still an excellent option. I also agree about the ISO performance of the A7ii vs fuji. The fuji models are very close, and actually do a better job of maintaining proper color than the A7ii. Even the A7s can get funky coloring with the noise, an issue that I dont see with my fuji cameras.

There was a column over on “the online photographer” about the problem of the increasing complexity of cameras.
Photoshop, Microsoft Word, and Your New Microcomputercam
What clicked for me is that I tend to activate the controls I would have used on a late 90s AF film camera and go from there. I always set the function buttons but then forget what I set them for. (I may take the advice in one of the comments and turn them off) I guess what I like about the bodies like the older A7 or the Fuji’s is that they feel like my old film cameras. I’m comfortable when I actually shoot with them.

I'm looking at the Samyang 35 2.8. It's fairly cheap but gets good ratings optically. I just don't want to invest $1500 in a "cheap, fun" FF system. I've also debated going manual focus. I realized later that even though I said no experience I did have an RX1 I got from Luke. I liked the results but no EVF was a dealbreaker.
Oh, the irony. I sold a bunch of stuff and bought an A7R ii for $1500. :doh: I thought I would at least post it and give you folks a laugh.

I've been looking around for FE mount lenses. There is actually quite a selection because the third party manufacturers pay attention to Sony. You can do surprisingly well under $600 and even under $400 if you are willing to settle for f2.8. Faster is much more expensive and much heavier. Coming from Mu43 and Fuji, I've forgotten how nice third party lens makers can be.

Back