Sony Sony A7 with Macro-Elmarit 60/2.8 vs Sigma DP3M

biglouis

Veteran
Wanting a macro solution for the Sony A7 I decided to try a 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit R and a Metabones adapter. Not entirely impressed by the adapter - nicely made no doubt about it - but mounting the lens it feel very tight. Not like my Novoflex adapter for M lenses.

I've hankered after a 60/2.8 Macro during the years and it is great to have a camera system that can justify owning one. Not sure of the results, though. Both tripod mounted.

Leica Macro-Elmarit 60/2.8 iso100 f3.5
DSC02204.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Leica Macro-Elmarit 60/2.8 iso100 f16
DSC02200.jpg

For comparison's sake here are two taken with my Sigma DP3M - which I class as being a great macro lens - however (as you may know) ergonomics and usability leave a lot to be desired over the Sony A7.

I'm surprised at how close the IQ is between the two camera/lens combinations. I thought the Sigma would win out hands down.

Sigma DP3M iso100 f3.5
_P3M2058.jpg

Sigma DP3M iso100 f16
_P3M2060.jpg

I have seen this type of comparison in the past.. The d800/e and dp Merrill are pretty close from what I have seen in the past..

We are still talking about difference between 15 million unique photo locations vs 36 million on the d800/e. Though the foveon does not need to interpret as opposed to a Bayer array camera since it has all the RGB color information on each one of those 15 million photo sites, it is still less total photo sites for getting the detail. On the other hand, it shows how big of a sensor is needed to get good enough to be competitive w/ the Merrill sensor.

I have seen example where the I d800/e has out resolved the Merrill and I have seen others where at first it appeared that the d800 did better, but on closer inspection, the really fine detail was seen by the Merrill sensor and not the one on the d800. I find that the d800 has a bit smoother look to it, most like due the Bayer algo.

Someone I know has both the Merrill and d800e cameras and has sent me these comparisons in the past.. For some images I find I like the look of the d800 while others the Merrill.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

I have seen this type of comparison in the past.. The d800/e and dp Merrill are pretty close from what I have seen in the past..

We are still talking about difference between 15 million unique photo locations vs 36 million on the d800/e. Though the foveon does not need to interpret as opposed to a Bayer array camera since it has all the RGB color information on each one of those 15 million photo sites, it is still less total photo sites for getting the detail. On the other hand, it shows how big of a sensor is needed to get good enough to be competitive w/ the Merrill sensor.

Gary

Hello Gary!
I see you use a Sigma SLR. Can you give us some real life hands-on inputs about your Sigma Merril? The +/- when compared with say the Canon 5D Mk II/III? Or the Sony 7/7R? I am basically looking at ergonomics, any special features, inputs on image quality, low light performance and AF speed.
Thanks!

Sorry.. I do not own a a7 or a canon. A friend of mine on rff had all three cameras. When he was trying to decide what he liked better, he sent me samples of his test shots from the Sony a7r and the sd1 Merrill.

What I told him at the time was that the sd1 showed more micro detail where color changes were extremely small, but the Sony showed better detail in situations where there were no changes in color over a very small area. This is essentially due to the sensor size difference and that the Bayer algo over a large area will guess right most of the time.

There were examples of where I liked the look of the a7r better than the sd1 because it had a smoother quality it still retained a lot of detail. There were other examples where I liked the sd1 better.

My friend decided to keep the Sony a7r and return the sd1m.. But he has the dp2 and 3 Merrill still. He also still has the canon. He needs the canon still due to faster af he requires for certain assignments. Unlike the dp series where the lenses are matched to the sensor, on the sd family, u are essentially using lenses designed to be used w/ any dslr camera.

Sigma art lenses IMHO are some of the best out there.. The new 50f1.4 art will even give the Zeiss Otus a run for its money.

I own foveon sensor cameras (dp1, dp2 and sd1 Merrill cameras and have the dp2 Quattro on pre-order) due to their ability to give fine detail at substantially less then a compatible camera like d800e or a7r. When I need higher iso I turn to my Fuji x cameras. When I need faster af, it used to be my Nikon dslr or Olympus em5, but now it is the Panasonic gx7.

I use the dp family mainly as my monochrom camera of choice. The sd1 w/ 12-24, 17-70, 30f1.4, 50f1.4 and 70f2.8 macro handles everything else. The dp2q is going to be my ultimate monochrome.

Sd1 af is not that fast, about Nikon d200 era speed. High iso for color is about 400..ok up to 800. Monochrome is a stop better at 800 and 1600 respectively, but as high as 4000 if u are ok w/ playing w/ color wheel.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

I started this thread then abandoned it: sorry!

I've come to the conclusion that for my kind of macro photography - which is really just for fun - I need autofocus. The DP3M is great for static objects, e.g. flowers but not fast enough for insects etc. The Elmarit R is too cumbersome. Nice results but not for me.

I'm now thinking about a LE-A4 adapter and the Sigma 105/2.8 in Alpha mount.

Mind you - and perhaps I ought to just 'allow it' - the best macro lens I had was my PanaLeica 45/2.8 on my GH-2. I'm actually thinking as I still have the GH-2 body I should just buy that again.

Decisions, decisions.

LouisB

I suppose this is the advantage of the A7, if one lens does not quite do the job try another.
There could be an improvement on the Sony if you could get something without having the adapter.

Back