Sony Sony a7c -- FF in an a6000 body

I would have been super tempted if the body was closer to that of the A6600 rather than an earlier A6k.

If the swivel screen means that it can be hidden, then that’s a long overdue step in the right direction; if it just pivots out to narcissus mode, then it introduces a point of weakness for no benefit.

I’m really not sure what to expect from the A7c as there are too many inconsistent rumours and speculations going around. For me there’s the additional complication introduced by the announcement of the LA-EA5.

I guess I’ll just have to wait until the big reveal this week.

Last edited:
Hmm... :)
6498378135.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yeah, this will be the only FF camera in the RF style. Why hasn’t someone done that already? :rofl:
vs Sony
SonyA7c-3.png

It is not a best deal in Sony world when you can get a used A7 III for $1500 and a used A7R IV for $2450... But then every forum / rumor site talks about this one, eg Fuji can make a XE4 with IBIS if Sony can do that.... Now that CaNikon is pushing Sony in mirrorless, hopefully Sony will come up with newer things... At least Samyang has the coverage with smaller and cheaper af primes with 18 1.8, 24 2.8, 35 1.8/2.8, 45 1.8, 75 1.8 and Tamron with small excellent zooms, 28-200 and 70-180mm 2.8.... Sigma also started with 45mm 2.8 and 85mm 1.4 on Sony and L mounts... On m & e mount there are CV 10, 12, 15, 21 1.4/3.5, 35 1.2, 40 1.2, 50 1.2, 50 2 apo, 65mm apo macro, 75mm 1.5, and 110mm apo macro... Zeiss has smaller 21/25/35/50mm Loxia's... So there are lots of lens choices for a small travel/walk around camera...

I wish they would have upgraded the evf and put a joystick... Maybe it will be in a next model with 42/62MP sensor if this sells well...At least lcd is not wide like A6xxx series where the photo view is very small.... It looks like video usage is changing the lcd to swivel ones, good for portrait shots but not for landscapes... I know Canon/Oly EM's are like that. I usually turn the opposite and use as evf only camera... At least it is better than fixed screens...

Last edited:
It does seem that Sony made a few odd choices for so expensive a camera like no front dial or joystick. The flip screen is always controversial so that’s a coin flip.

Last edited:
It does seem that Sony made a few odd choices for so expensive a camera like no front dial or joystick. The flip screen is always controversial no that’s a coin flip.

Definitely agree with that, but think Sony is strategic. If this sells well, they will probably create a higher end model that will include those two features to provide further differentiation and desire for the higher priced version.

For me, although I would have preferred both, I will be able to work around them. The front dial will be a bigger loss, since I don’t have a joystick on my A7ii, so I’m already used to navigating with the four way control pad.

Also, from what I’ve been reading, the current Sony AF-C tracking pretty much negates the need for moving the focus point manually. If you use single point focus, you can lock on your subject with half press and then recompose, the whole while the camera maintaining focus on your selected subject.

I don't expect much difference on EVF or sensor stack with RF Lenses in comparison to the existing Sony cameras... The Sony sensor stack has been tested a lot and it has the thickest sensor topping.. Latest comparison that I saw was done to Leica M10 by Fred Miranda himself in alternate forum. Only correction for Leica lenses is picking the right M lens (new CV lenses and no biogons, etc) or Kolari Sensor Topping Mod which changes the auto WB/colors a little. I found a used mod'd A7R as same price as a used A7R at Keh, but no IBIS or silent shutter. Only competition to A7C on size is Sigma FP with no evf/IBIS/mech shutter for a similar price... For Leica lenses, best choice is a used Leica SL at similar A7C price, but again it is much bigger/heavier and no IBIS... Nikon topping might be the thinnest cover after SL bad but again I see some users in FM find it not optimal also. Even SL/SL2 with M lenses are not as good as leica M...

I'll be watching this one, depends on the resolution of the EVF and performance of the sensor stack with RF lenses. I have a lot of lenses.
The price is on the high side for 24MPixels, so the EVF needs to be first-rate.

yes, afc/eye focus is great esp with moving people, cats and dog... Joystick is useful esp with mf lenses esp when your eye is in the evf, otherwise you can use the lcd with touch also...

Also, from what I’ve been reading, the current Sony AF-C tracking pretty much negates the need for moving the focus point manually. If you use single point focus, you can lock on your subject with half press and then recompose, the whole while the camera maintaining focus on your selected subject.

Specs have been leaked:

Basically an A7iii spec’d camera (sensor, processor, menus, etc) in a smaller body, smaller EVF, minus 1 card slot, less custom buttons, and swapping a tilt screen for a flip one.

Based on 2yr old tech, I have to think the price rumors are incorrect, or at least I would hope.

This should really be priced sub $1600 to compete with the Z5 and RP entry level FF cameras. But, it will likely be more like $1800 - $1900, just under the A7iii. We’ll know in a couple of hours.

$1799 body only...

It’s a little more than I had hoped, but still less than the A7iii MSRP by a couple of hundred dollars. That was my main upgrade path for my A7ii, but the smaller body of this lens is more attractive to me than some of the lost features. Looking forward to watching the many reviews.

DPR says it’s very well made with an improved AF system relative to the A7iii. The biggest drawback according to them is the small EVF. Maybe someday if it gets discounted or there’s a nice used one it could be something to look at. The x100v is 1399 with a lens whereas this is a body with a FF sensor and IBiS. Tough call, especially if you have some FE lenses.

Welp, too expensive for my taste, given that it looks like it'll have a lot of compromises around ergonomics, EVF and the like. If it were purely perfect, I might consider consolidating. I'd like a small FF body. I'd rather go quirky and get a Sigma fP than this one though.

Welp, too expensive for my taste, given that it looks like it'll have a lot of compromises around ergonomics, EVF and the like. If it were purely perfect, I might consider consolidating. I'd like a small FF body. I'd rather go quirky and get a Sigma fP than this one though.

I also wish the pricing was lower, given some of the compromises, but when you look at the Sigma FP, it’s actually well priced since it offers a mechanical shutter, IBIS, and flip screen over that model. Plus a much more significant lens offering.

Back