Sony Sony a7c -- FF in an a6000 body

I look forward to hearing impressions and seeing results. I also love those last two posts a little over two months apart. This is the only body out there that currently tempts me.

I look forward to hearing impressions and seeing results. I also love those last two posts a little over two months apart. This is the only body out there that currently tempts me.

Ha, two long months of watching many reviews. :)

The battery just finished charging about half hour ago, so fiddled around with some of the family menu settings - although many additions vs my A7ii.

First impressions:

- Body appears very well built. Grip is nice and better than expected. Doors and flaps are well designed and solid. Definitely sleeker than my A7ii.
- EVF is tiny, but clear. Not sure how well it will do in the sun though.
- I definitely prefer regular tilt up LCD screens, so this one will take some getting used to. I do like some of the added versatility it offers and that you can flip it inward for protection. Also, you guys may get to see some selfies, since it allows for that too. Sorry in advance. 😉

I plan on putting it through some testing (inside) with the kids tomorrow and will take some images of it as well. I’ll do a little write up in the Personal Gear Review thread, since I’ve done a little purging before this newest acquisition was made.

The C-AF is what really tempts me, especially for kids. Everything I’ve read says it’s really good.

Well, it definitely performs in that area!
  • Put camera in AF-C
  • Focus Point - Tracking Expand Flexible Spot
  • Half press to lock on subject
  • Recompose to your heart's content and it stays locked on said subject
Eye detection works a treat - my A7ii only had eyeAF in AF-S and wasn't nearly as sticky. Really is amazingly quick and accurate.

Also, went out for a walk - cold, but very sunny, and the EVF worked out adequately. You do need to get good placement with your eye, but otherwise, it did the job.

A couple more thoughts:

Battery life appears to be excellent, as expected with the large Sony Z battery. A lot of menu reviewing, setting up, and taking test shot images to see the impact of each selection, and the battery is still at 40%.

Sony has added more metering options than what was available on my A7ii. Highlight metering being the main unexpected highlight (pardon the pun) for me. This was available on the GRiii I had previously and I really enjoyed that option for shooting in bright sunny days with great shadows.

It has the best 24MP FF sensor with one of the best af for consumer use eg not including latest pro level A1/A9/R5, etc.. EVF is small. Grip could have been better if A6600 grip was used. If you are not going to be using it with big lenses or need higher MP, it should be fine... It is great with small primes/zooms similar to pen-f/gx9... You can check the below reviews:

28-60mm kit lens is a great lens also. See below FM review. It needs distortion correction for 28mm but no problem on the longer side...
Sony FE 28-60mm versus other lenses

w-DSC00020-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

w-DSC00022-1.jpg

w-DSC00034-1.jpg

w-DSC00046-Pano.jpg

w-DSC00064-1.jpg

w-DSC00067-1.jpg

w-DSC00080-1.jpg

w-DSC00103-1-SAI.jpg

w-DSC00105-1.jpg

w-DSC00108-1.jpg

Last edited:
@CraigC a y more updates on the 7c? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Well, buying a new camera during the middle of a pandemic lockdown and -20+ celsius winter weather, doesn't afford a lot of option to put it through its full paces :doh:

But, I have been using it around the house and it has performed as expected. The AF tracking really is great - lock on your target, set up your desired composition, shoot. Continuous eyeAF is excellent as well, something I did not have with my A7ii.

I also took some off camera flash portraits of the kids and had no issue with the non-mechanical, electronic only first curtain shutter.

Unfortunately, I am running an old version of Lightroom (6.14), so the RAW files aren't recognized and I cannot edit those files as part of my normal workflow just yet. I am actually going to upgrade to the Adobe LR classic subscription once my new M1 Macbook Air arrives mid March (I am currently using a vintage 2007 iMac).

New camera, new computer, new LR version... a lot going on and looking forward to learning them all.

If you have any specific questions about the A7C, feel free to ask. :)

Unfortunately, I am running an old version of Lightroom (6.14), so the RAW files aren't recognized and I cannot edit those files as part of my normal workflow just yet. I am actually going to upgrade to the Adobe LR classic subscription once my new M1 Macbook Air arrives mid March (I am currently using a vintage 2007 iMac).
I use adobe dng converter with the old version LR. LR opens the files with no problem as above files were converted from Sony raw to dng...
Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Thinking of trying something new again. Considering: Fuji X-S10 for OOC jpgs or the a7c for compactness and the third party lens options.

can anyone comment on the a7c AF and handling vs Fuji X-S10 (not interested in other Fuji bodies)?

Last edited:
Back