Sony Sony A7R IV

Crazy.

.... that's a nail in the coffin of just about any other camera maker (maybe except for Fujifilm ... and possibly Leica)

It's good for the internet pixel-peeping schmuckeroos who are constantly after more resolution but don't know how to take a good photo to save their lives.

But also, if IQ is up to par, this can potentially eat into the medium format market. I have loved, LOVED, Hasselblad and the medium format IQ for a long time. But Sony might be able to rock the professional medium format demography if the IQ is good enough.

For me Sony will never work and 98% of other auto-focus lenses as well. I’m going towards another direction.

Aesthetics of the camera+lens combo is as important as the quality of pictures for me. Quality of the digital cameras have topped my skills so many times already. I don’t need anything ‘more’ for my photography. Less is more for me in many ways where I am in my life.

Example of camera+lense combo I would never use.

From DPreview: Sony a7R IV sample gallery

I'm looking at the edges of some of those samples and am struggling to see GBP5250 value for body and lens as used for the photos. I wonder how big the market is for that equipment at that price?

I looked at the some shots from the R IV over on DPR and the detail is impressive. There is a shot of six or so birds flying away from a barn. If you pixel peep on the jpeg you will suddenly notice that one of the birds was relieving himself on takeoff. Further, the scat scatter is very sharp. (y) Still, you can get a nice 42.4mp R II for $1500 USD. For most of us, even hi res bodies two generations back are fine, assuming you have lenses good enough even for that one.

For most of us, even hi res bodies two generations back are fine, assuming you have lenses good enough even for that one.

I am an amateur photographer who does the occasional paid work. For me, 18-25MP is more than enough. I don't feel I need any of the A7r cameras.

If I was a studio photographer who is paid to shoot major advertising campaigns, I would look at the A7r cameras or the medium format cameras.

Having said that, if you're an amateur photographer who is only photographing your family and loved ones, I completely understand if you want the best of the best of what you can afford to buy. If you can afford it, I'd support you photographing your family with a $60,000 Hasselblad.

I shoot a lot in low light. The A7R ii is appealing since it has much better high iso behavior than the A7. The used ones are dipping into the 1200 range which is tempting.

Have not been here for quite some time. Been a lot of changes in the last few years, now semi-retired from the pro end but I will still be upgrading my Sony A&RIIIs for the new A7RIVs next month, they look fantastic. I shot for years with medium format digital have no desire to own a Hassy any more and these new Sonys look like they will be giving my old medium format camera a real challenge

Have not been here for quite some time. Been a lot of changes in the last few years, now semi-retired from the pro end but I will still be upgrading my Sony A&RIIIs for the new A7RIVs next month, they look fantastic. I shot for years with medium format digital have no desire to own a Hassy any more and these new Sonys look like they will be giving my old medium format camera a real challenge

You may be semi-retired but there's always something to GAS over. That never ends.

I could also say that there is a difference between GAS and actual use, I can see a lot of need in the improved Af and image resolution.
That is not saying I do not suffer from GAS in other interests, although I do find that one can achieve and end to GAS at some point, for example I do not see myself buying anymore kitchen knives, stereo/home theater gear, pocket knives, tools, collectable cameras, hopefully the wine buying has slowed down and finally after my latest mod that is it for the new Jeep too.

Back