Sony Sony A9III...yay or nay?

Rumors continue to be few and far between, this is the most recent. I've been hoping that Sony will do something to make their speed-demon stand out, like an increase from the standard 24MP to maybe in the 35ish range. I would like more speed than my A74, but have no need for very high resolution. Something near the A74 would be good. This rumor indicates they may issue it stripped of major video features, which tugs at my heartstrings. The new AI AF of the A7RV, MP near the A74, speed of the A9II or A1, and just enough video to push the button when I want. That's probably too much to hope for, but if they do something like that it'd be tough to resist. Even something near to that would cause me to think hard.

Some wild A9III rumors: Going to focus on Stills performance? – sonyalpharumors

Everyone is different for sure. I personally wouldn't go under the 60mp sensors because I already know what I'm getting and can get away with. If and when someone starts posting shots I couldn't take, then I would look at it. I only own 1 sony lens and it's got that new fangle dangle stuff called autofocus. When I put on a manual focus tele lens, I already know what a bird looks like and I certainly know what an eye looks like, so a little different and that's how most people are, different needs.

If I can consistently get Swallow's in flight with the old A7RIV, then I don't actually see a need to change. Yep the A9's and A1 are spectacular cameras, but I would sooner put the money saved into a few bird shooting trips considering what i already get. FPS doesn't do much for me to be honest. The Oly can get 30-60 FPS and that is hardly ever used. The last thing I would want personally :) Yeah I know I'm weird.

All the best and I'm sure sports shooters see it entirely differently.

Danny.

I'm happy with my A9. It has all the speed I need and it shoots videos at the press of a button too.
I was looking at the A9 and A9II, but too much of a backwards step from the 7M4 in everything but speed. Of course any modern camera has a button for video, I'm referring to the different settings and v-log crap that I don't want or need. If Sony were to offer a less expensive version with all but basic video, similar to what Panasonic is doing with the S5II and S5IIx, the camera would be an attractive option.
Everyone is different for sure. I personally wouldn't go under the 60mp sensors because I already know what I'm getting and can get away with. If and when someone starts posting shots I couldn't take, then I would look at it. I only own 1 sony lens and it's got that new fangle dangle stuff called autofocus. When I put on a manual focus tele lens, I already know what a bird looks like and I certainly know what an eye looks like, so a little different and that's how most people are, different needs.

If I can consistently get Swallow's in flight with the old A7RIV, then I don't actually see a need to change. Yep the A9's and A1 are spectacular cameras, but I would sooner put the money saved into a few bird shooting trips considering what i already get. FPS doesn't do much for me to be honest. The Oly can get 30-60 FPS and that is hardly ever used. The last thing I would want personally :) Yeah I know I'm weird.

All the best and I'm sure sports shooters see it entirely differently.

Danny.
Yeah, I certainly don't need more than what I have, but my spending habits have never been driven by need! Besides the fact that I have an itch for a new camera, I have this gnawing feeling that I am missing peak shots at the drag strip. I sometimes look at a burst series of a car at launch and wonder if I missed anything in between. I supposed if I really wanted to know I could set the camera to jpeg or heif for top burst speed and run a couple of series.

I've looked at the RIV and RV, but neither give me what I want and the added MP is going to bog me down. If I crop at the track it's because I blew the composition, so small trims here and there are about it, huge crops are non-existent. The A1 gives me what I want but I simply cannot justify that kind of money, and there's a similar MP problem. I suppose I could shoot in Lossless RAW Medium which would give me a downscaled 21MP image while retaining the full frame sensor, but then I could accomplish about the same thing with an A9 or A9II. If the A9III doesn't end up being beyond cool, I may go the route of a good used A1.

I don't need any lenses, between my handful of E-Mount and twice as many A-Mount I'm pretty well set. There is one that I want, that Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8 is pretty nice. A good overall range and fast for a zoom, but $1900 for a Tamron anything is too much IMO. I'm waiting to see how Samyang's new version of the same lens stacks up.

When I was looking at getting my last camera I didn't consider all the improvements in the lcd screen as 'needed' since I don't use it to compose shots or review them. After doing a comparison of all my cameras, I felt the best bang for my buck was the A7R3. It has given me the crop ability I was looking for plus the battery to match my other cameras too. With the last software update to the A9, its auto focus is as good as I need too.

Last edited:
Back