Sony Announces NEX-7, NEX 5N, and three new E Mount Lenses

Hi Ray
Interesting post - and pretty much a reflection of my thoughts.
But if you start thinking of the Nex7 as a 24mp digital back with an excellent sensor which will take pretty much every lens ever made . . . an with some of them will fit in your pocket - suddenly it sounds much more attractive.

My logical side agrees that m43 actually offers a much better size/price/quality return . . . . but if you start thinking of the NEX7 as modular .. Forget the X100 - I know how fond lots of people are (for good reason) but a fixed focal length compact is not the same thing at all.

I will almost certainly get a NEX7, but I suspect I won't like it as much as my EP3, which is becoming more and more of a favourite.

Thoughtful post Jonathan.

The Nex 7 ticks a lot of boxes for me. I think that the price is a bit steep, but for what you get and the likely sales volume I don't think it's way over the top. It is likely to be a very effective camera.

For my landscape photography it might be just right with some carefully chosen lenses.

But it could not, I think, be my only camera.

Well... The 7 is the NEX series camera I've been waiting for. But this one has me more than a little put-off. First, the price is outrageous. I can't see spending $1200 on a camera that wouldn't be a major contender in my everyday professional shooting. For that, I could get a second body for my digital workflow.

Also, I don't know why Sony is so intent on cramming as many megapixels as possible into their camera bodies. I guess it's because they're an electronics giant and not a camera company. I just really thought the megapixel race was over and that companies were going to focus on the "less is more" mentality and give us awesome image quality in awesome cameras. It still looks like they're targeting the general consumer and not the professional.

I guess it's still a really great camera and I bet the EVF will be very nice, but with 24mp and such a large price tag, it's not for me.

I agree mostly. This could be the new standard for compact camera. Too bad it cost so much.

Well... The 7 is the NEX series camera I've been waiting for. But this one has me more than a little put-off. First, the price is outrageous. I can't see spending $1200 on a camera that wouldn't be a major contender in my everyday professional shooting. For that, I could get a second body for my digital workflow.

Also, I don't know why Sony is so intent on cramming as many megapixels as possible into their camera bodies. I guess it's because they're an electronics giant and not a camera company. I just really thought the megapixel race was over and that companies were going to focus on the "less is more" mentality and give us awesome image quality in awesome cameras. It still looks like they're targeting the general consumer and not the professional.

I guess it's still a really great camera and I bet the EVF will be very nice, but with 24mp and such a large price tag, it's not for me.

$1200 is high. BUT, the new sensor might be awesome. I'd imagine that it's going to be at least as good as the 16 meg sensor on the Sony A55, Nikon D7000/5100, and Pentax K5. And that is a pretty darn good sensor. So if the 24 meg sensor is better, it'll be a serious case of WOW.

I'm no pro, but I don't see why a NEX7 could not be used as a professional shooter's camera. The NEX system still needs more high quality lenses, but it's slowly moving forward. Of course I do wish they would make the NEX lenses a little smaller to match with the small bodies a little bit better.

Already the NEX 5 sensor is/was awesome. But 24M and some megapixels coupled with a $100 kit lens. So far, the NEX line reminds me of VW Beetles with Porsche turbo engines from the 70s' or bodybuilders with oversized upper bodies who refuse working out the rest. The speed with which Sony cranks out new camera bodies is amazing, if they were only half as dedicated on lenses.

I haven't had the guts to preorder mine yet ($2500 when you add in the Zeiss lens and a handful of legacy lens adaptors :).

But now I have a serious case of G.A.S. ... for the first time since I got my GH-2.
(I'm not counting the 12mm & 25mm µ4/3 lenses. I'm just waiting for those to show up.)

I haven't had the guts to preorder mine yet ($2500 when you add in the Zeiss lens and a handful of legacy lens adaptors :).

But now I have a serious case of G.A.S. ... for the first time since I got my GH-2.
(I'm not counting the 12mm & 25mm µ4/3 lenses. I'm just waiting for those to show up.)

Well, that's two of us who feel the same way. The NEX-7 is the first camera that has made me seriously consider switching systems.
I've been with MFT since the beginning in late 2008 and have been waiting for a higher spec camera with integrated EVF and tilting screen in a high quality rangefinder layout body.
I like the NEX-7's, clean and contemporary styling. It's a lot of money though, especially considering that you'll probably need the 24mm Zeiss to take full advantage of the 24MP sensor.
But it's tempting...

If I inhabited a different world, so to speak, wherein I felt that I would truly use an array of lenses this camera (the NEX-7) would be awfully difficult to avoid thinking about with great seriousness. Perhaps when I finally do inhabit that world the camera will be out a few years and the prices will come down a bit. One can hope!

Back