Sony Sony Canada jumped the gun, they already have the RX100M3 on their website.

I read that it is going to be sold at 899.99. That was pretty expensive... but if the spec is correct... it is going to be hell of a camera and in a sense, it is cheaper than the RX100ii with the optional viewfinder.

Yeah... I am beginning to sense a hole burning in my pocket....

Looked very interesting... they also decided to do away with a hotshoe... no external flash can be mounted... physically... I think it can still act as command for offshoe flash. Very nice... very tempted.

I have no problems with any of the specifications for this camera (Looks like the hotshoe is gone again but I don't need one on a camera of this size) and could see myself eventualy buying it - when its replacement has been announced and it goes on closeout. ;) But if the original RX100 Mark 1 drops to $300, I'll snap up one of those to tide me over.

Looked very interesting... they also decided to do away with a hotshoe... no external flash can be mounted... physically... I think it can still act as command for offshoe flash. Very nice... very tempted.

Everyone was saying that they didn't see how it could have a builtin flash and a popup EVF. But they sacrificed the hot shoe and used that space for the flash. Also that popup EVF looks like it pops out too.

Very clever piece of design and engineering and nice to see 24mm at last. The big question for me as an owner of the original version is whether they have improved the very poor Steady Shot.

I realize not everyone is the same, but I personally never understood why some people wanted a hotshoe atop the RX100. The concept of adding a flash to a camera that small - at least to me - defeats the purpose of having a camera that size. But, again, everyone is different so I'm glad the Mark II is available.

I realize not everyone is the same, but I personally never understood why some people wanted a hotshoe atop the RX100. The concept of adding a flash to a camera that small - at least to me - defeats the purpose of having a camera that size. But, again, everyone is different so I'm glad the Mark II is available.

^ that.

Actually I still have my flash cover on the GR, never used it, even though I wanted to. But I will now that im getting a VF which the Sony has so...yeah.

Everyone was saying that they didn't see how it could have a builtin flash and a popup EVF. But they sacrificed the hot shoe and used that space for the flash. Also that popup EVF looks like it pops out too.

Actually now that I have time to think things through deeper... I am not too excited about the viewfinder. True, it is an innovative design, but a camera that small, with a viewfinder... and with me wearing glasses, holding that camera to my eye for a prolong period of time is not going to be comfortable.

What I like is the faster lens... but come to think about it... I really have not much use for those too... if I want to shoot fast, I would use my OMD or DSLR. The RX100 is only for some candid shots, and working trips overseas. I think with the RX100iii out... there will be a sale for the RX100ii in my country and I can finally get it.

Actually now that I have time to think things through deeper... I am not too excited about the viewfinder. True, it is an innovative design, but a camera that small, with a viewfinder... and with me wearing glasses, holding that camera to my eye for a prolong period of time is not going to be comfortable.

I think the Mark III's viewfinder, despite its relatively high resolution, is intended to be used when the rear screen isn't practical - such as in bright sunlight. Or perhaps when one needs to brace the camera against one's face to give it extra stability. Otherwise, leave the viewfinder retracted into the body and use the rear LCD.

Back