News Sony debuts a new camera cateogry, the camera lens.

John, there's much truth in what you say. But smartphones continue to inch toward to goal. I think, in a practical sense, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is closer than Sony's device. But at least Sony is trying. There'll be more misstarts by many before it's over.

Ha ha -- all of which I shall respond to with a curmudgeonly, "BAH!" :D

I think anything that offers an opportunity to shoot differently gets my vote.

Now for the biggest drawback, apparently it doesn't shoot RAW. According to a spec sheet that got leaked earlier and has now been redacted. Ooops... no raw, no go.

What's "straight horizon" in English? :)
In the very first part of the video, where he's like "oooh, look at that" then spends two minutes+ fumbling to set up, would kill it for me. I'd rather just have a serious compact. But then, later in the video, the usefulness becomes apparent in the remote control (at least, until your buddy texts you or you get a call, lol).

But one things for sure -- you can kiss straight horizons goodbye, lol.

Won't these be a dust nightmare?

They are completely enclosed. Although I'm not sure what focusing mechanism they use....they may draw in dust as other sealed camera lenses so, but the sensor is never exposed.....the sensor is premanently attached inside the lens. The phone is just the controls and work via wi-fi. they needn't be "connected" (or likely even in the same room.)

You and I had different opinions on the Hero then. I could see it's place in the "camera universe".

Why do people shoot cell phones? Because they're in their pocket, that's why. This is another bulky, odd shaped and fragile looking gadget that you need to carry around with you besides your cell phone. What is the point? Might as well have a camera that IS a camera and not something out of "Batman's Utility Belt" that has to be carried with you.

As a "gee whiz" it will sell. As something people will seriously want to use long term it will fail. I'm standing on that until I'm proved wrong.

Here's an application even I didn't imagine. Give the world a new tool and the world will surprise you. Take that Hero!!!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/creepiest-thing-we-ve-done-thus-far-sony-qx10

Back