Sony Sony FF A7 and A7r

Yes, it is evf. That is one poster's rendering based on the rumors. It looks like it is RX1+evf+grip ~ OMD FF... Both bodies are waterproof.

The available lenses will be the kit 28-70mm zoom, and Zeiss 24-70mm, 35mm 2.8 and 55mm 1.8. You can also use the Sony nex lenses but most probably with heavy vignetting/cropping.

Interesting times. It will be shown in NY PhotoPlus Expo on Oct 23-26 and will be available for sale in couple weeks per SAR.

With no primes wider than 35, I'm happier to have the RX1. I'll be interested in how compact the Zeiss 24-70 can be, but I'm not into zooms and full frame won't change that. If they develop a good 24 or 28 prime in the future and the form factor is still in the general vicinity of the RX1, I might get interested. But not based on these rumors...

-Ray

Supposedly Sony nex 24mm 1.8 can be used with FF, but it is not a small lens and the corners might not be the best. But it can be used as 4:3 & 1:1 modes. Zeiss 35mm 2.8 will be same size as RX1 lens so it is hard to beat the fixed lens size. Zeiss 24-70mm aperture and size is not known but I assume it will be similar size/aperture to new Zeiss e 16-70mm f/4 version. The wide side will be a challenge esp with rf lenses. I have Oly om 21mm f/3.5, very small slr lens to cover it.

With no primes wider than 35, I'm happier to have the RX1. I'll be interested in how compact the Zeiss 24-70 can be, but I'm not into zooms and full frame won't change that. If they develop a good 24 or 28 prime in the future and the form factor is still in the general vicinity of the RX1, I might get interested. But not based on these rumors...

-Ray

I'm with you, Ray. I wouldn't trade in my RX1 in any case but it will be very disappointing if the FF Nex does not have at least a 21mm prime in its future. Not entirely sure what the case is for a 55/1.8, either.

LouisB

I got into mirrorless - specifically m43 - because of the tradeoff between good enough IQ and small size. My forays into even APS sensor cameras has been limited due to size, but almost always lens size - the bodies are plenty small but the lenses aren't. Some medium wide to standard primes are OK (plenty of examples from both Fuji and Nex) but the zooms, longer lenses, and ultra-wide lenses get beyond my comfort zone pretty quickly. I loved the Fuji 55-200, but it's just too big compared to m43 lenses with considerably more reach and similarly good optics. I have the Fuji 14mm, which is borderline too big, and will no doubt check out the 10-24 UWA when it shows up, hopefully soon. But my guess is it's gonna be bigger than I'm gonna want to live with. Which could chase me back to m43 as my "system", rather than the mix of m43 and Fuji I'm using now.

Enter this Sony full frame mirrorless system. To my surprise, I fell totally and fully for the RX1, but a lot of that has to do with getting full frame quality in such a compact package, with it's slightly wide lens. Any time I've even played around with a full frame DSLR in a shop, it takes me a matter of seconds to realize I don't want anything to do with bodies and lenses that big. My strong suspicion is that anything outside the 28-55 range with this system is going to have an even worse case of outsized lens-itus than the APS gear that's already bigger than I like. Which is why I seriously doubt I'm gonna have a lot of interest in this gear. I hope I'm wrong - if they can give me a 24 or 28mm lens in a package that's even close to the size and quality of the RX1, I'll probably get interested pretty quickly. As it is, I'm having my doubts. I'm sure it'll be excellent gear, but I doubt it'll stay within my size and weight threshold. I'm sure the body will be small enough, but I doubt the lenses I'd be interested in will be.

-Ray

Ray, how about this? I couldn't find a quick photo of OM 21mm w/ nex but most probably FF Sony will look more like GH1 w/ Olympus OM 21mm f/3.5:

GH1_OM21mm.jpg

OM 21 doesn't beat the big Zeiss 21mm, but its size makes it one of the most sought lenses for FF. Its distortion is better then the Zeiss and dof is even tighter/similar to Oly 12mm f/2. I am sure you can find the OM 24mm/28mm similar size. They are not RX1 lens sharp but stopped down I am sure they will be useful. Again you don't need tight dof for wide angles. There are lots of small alt glass available as long as you use manual focus:)

I'm watching this like a hawk...since getting the GR and the RX1 I've been really looking forward to a 50mm incarnation of either.

I wonder however, what's with the 55mm focal length ? I know very little of lens genealogy/history and only know that there have been a few really old Takumars and Rokkors of that focal length. The only thing that I can imagine it being is that combination of focal length and aperture allowed Zeiss to build a more compact lens ?

Ray, how about this? I couldn't find a quick photo of OM 21mm w/ nex but most probably FF Sony will look more like GH1 w/ Olympus OM 21mm f/3.5:

GH1_OM21mm.jpg

OM 21 doesn't beat the big Zeiss 21mm, but its size makes it one of the most sought lenses for FF. Its distortion is better then the Zeiss and dof is even tighter/similar to Oly 12mm f/2. I am sure you can find the OM 24mm/28mm similar size. They are not RX1 lens sharp but stopped down I am sure they will be useful. Again you don't need tight dof for wide angles. There are lots of small alt glass available as long as you use manual focus:)

I wasn't really thinking about legacy lenses, but I probably should. I'm generally not all that into them with the various crop factors, but with full frame a 21 is a 21 and a 28 is a 28, so maybe worth a look. I won't be an early adopter, but I'll see how things shake out.

-Ray

I'm watching this like a hawk...since getting the GR and the RX1 I've been really looking forward to a 50mm incarnation of either.

I wonder however, what's with the 55mm focal length ? I know very little of lens genealogy/history and only know that there have been a few really old Takumars and Rokkors of that focal length. The only thing that I can imagine it being is that combination of focal length and aperture allowed Zeiss to build a more compact lens ?

I'm not too familiar with the lens history, but vaguely recall reading something about it in the past. Pentax also has weird focal lengths like 32, 43, 77 ...

Per SAR:
Cameras will be announced on October 16-17. They will be in Stock 2 weeks after.

Also:
(SR5) The two zooms aperture info (Sony G and Zeiss) - sonyalpharumors

the aperture of the two zooms:

1) Sony G FE 28-75mm f/3.5-5.6. This lens will be sold as kit lens with the A7 cameras. I don’t know yet if the lens has OSS or not.
2) Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4.0 OSS lens. This lens could be in store in early 2014 only (while the Sony G zoom will be available in November).

Price is yet unknown but the Sony G zoom will cost around 300 Dollars/Euro when purchased with the camera (should be around 500 Dollars/Euro if you buy it as single item). I have been told the 28-70mm lens (when bought as kit lens with camera) is the only “low-priced lens of the FE range which includes also the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 and Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 lens.

So, it looks like $1600-1700 and $2300-2400 for the bodies and maybe a safe assumption for the Sony/Zeiss lenses to be in the $1000-1200 range? If that is true, you could end up with a 35mm kit, with viewfinder, that stacks up well against a RX1 on price (but will have to be quite a bit chunkier).

I wondered about the 55mm field of view as well. I guess the 35mm lenses on APS-C are coming in at ~53mm equiv., so not much of a stretch there. That said, I find these to be a little tight for me.

I think I could be pretty happy, though, with just a 35mm for my daily and a 55mm for portraits, especially if that camera body and lenses are weather sealed!

First image from SAR:
Bildschirmfoto2013-10-10um131630_zps4a76d5b1.png

A7/A7r spec info:

1) AF is faster than the RX series but still not as fast as the best in the mirrorless world
2) A7 and A7r have focus peaking
3) eye tracking AF
4) they are about same size as the Olympus OMD series
5) There is an optional vertical grip
6) They have Wifi and NFC
7) no Tri Navi, They had scroll wheels in front and back (which were very much like nex-7′s) and an exposure comp wheel from RX1.
8) One source the body quality is very good and the camera had a Pentax LX feeling.
9) 1/8000 shutter speed
10) both have tiltatble screen

Back