Sony Sony FF A7 and A7r

A7/A7r:
(SR5) A7-A7r sketch shows the real camera design! - sonyalpharumors

A7-pic_zpse75492de.jpg

Also there will be 70-200 f/4 lens...

It seems like there is a revolt brewing on that rumor site over the non-rangefinder looks.

I think it looks industrial/tool-like (assuming the rendering is true), which is okay with me. A weather-sealed FF mirrorless system with WR lenses, including, a prime 35mm? Sounds great to me.

I think it looks pretty badass with that gigantic VF. Not sure why it looks like it protrudes about a full inch off the back, but I don't see the point of making it look like a rangefinder (and I love rangefinder looking cameras) when it's going to have gigantic lenses (and a 70-200mm f4 IS going to be gigantic) to go on it.

It looks like it is the result of Sony partnerships w/ Hasselblad & Oly, so the child is Hassel-OMD:) I prefer the nex 6/7 design, works with even big lenses... Panasonic is moving in that direction w/ gx7 when Oly moved to dslr shape with E-M1 and Sony moves to OMD... Yes, I need a grip for OMD, so the design works for me. There are lots of comments on SAR. Even 43 rumors is now reporting that it has the same OMD evf and body size...

They both look great, the 7r in particular. But I'm having a hard time coming up with $900 for a DP2 Merrill. These are clearly out of my league, especially the one I'd be really interested in.

They both look great, the 7r in particular. But I'm having a hard time coming up with $900 for a DP2 Merrill. These are clearly out of my league, especially the one I'd be really interested in.

I hear ya. After paying the last tax bill and looking today at a new transmission for my wife's Accord, I think the cameras I already own are out of my league!

(SR5) Hot! First full size images of the A7 and A7r cameras with lenses! - sonyalpharumors

A7-A7r Specs:
- A7 has 24 Megapixel sensor with Phase detection AF
- A7r has 36 Megapixel with no on sensor Phase detection and no Anti Aliasing filter for maximum sharpness
- A7 body costs $1698 and $1998 with 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens. A7r costs $2198 body only.
- Both cameras have a fixed OLED EVF with 2,4 million dot resolution. It’s the same used by the Olympus E-M1
- AF speed is faster than the RX series.
- Takes SD cards and uses the NEX battery
- A7/A7r Body is weather sealed
- 1/8000 shutter speed
- titlable LCD screen
- focus peaking
- Built-in Wifi and NFC
- Playmemories Camera Apps
- The menu interface is the same as the RX series (and not the one used by NEX cameras).
- optional vertical grip
- New LAEA Full Frame A to E-mount adapter
- Current NEX APS-C lenses will work in crop mode or Full Frame mode (with heavy vignetting or dark corners)

New FE lenses:
Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4.0 OSS
Sony G 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8
Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8
Zeiss FE 70-200mm f/4.0 OSS (coming early 2014)

w/ 28-70mm
a72870-1_zps2eed8e49.jpg

w/ 35mm
a7r35-1_zpsc93c667e.jpg

OK. I don't like the design at all. I think it's just angular and ugly. But that's a personal thing. Someone else might find it gorgeous. Also, the looks won't stop it from being a smashing success. Everyone else will be playing catch-up now, but I am not at all attracted to that design. Maybe it'll look better in person :)

According to a dpreview poster, width is 123mm similar to nex 7 width (120mm) or omd e-m5 (121mm) or a little smaller then the omd e-m1 (130.4mm), so it is more close to e-m5 size w/ e-m1 evf plus a better grip:

"According to the leaked PDF, the 35mm lens is 61.5mm in diameter. I imported the image into an image editor and the top plate is close to 2x the diameter of the lens, so the camera should be around 123mm wide (plus or minus a bit); the NEX-7 is 120mm."

Compact Camera Meter

and one photo w/ ZM planar:
sony%20with%20planar.jpg

RX1 has smaller width but it might be close when you add a grip and evf...

I wonder how big they will be relative to the RX1.

Thanks Serhan! That's not bad at all then -- size-wise. The ZM50 Plannar was a good point of reference given that I've owned one in the past. Thank you! These new cameras are exciting!

My question is now whether or not Sony can ship these in quantity by December 1!

OK. I don't like the design at all. I think it's just angular and ugly. But that's a personal thing. Someone else might find it gorgeous. Also, the looks won't stop it from being a smashing success. Everyone else will be playing catch-up now, but I am not at all attracted to that design. Maybe it'll look better in person :)

It looks like a marriage of the NEX + OMD.

It might be like OMD orders, but the question is when/if the Zeiss lenses will be available by that date... I don't remember a big interest in Sony nex products since nex-7...

Thanks Serhan! That's not bad at all then -- size-wise. The ZM50 Plannar was a good point of reference given that I've owned one in the past. Thank you! These new cameras are exciting!

My question is now whether or not Sony can ship these in quantity by December 1!

I read the new FF cams will come with "crop mode" so you can use the really lousy NEX APS-C glass on it, lol.

Seriously, though, there are a few (very few) good lenses, and the rumor is the micro-lenses are optimized for the short distance, so legacy lenses might be pretty fun here.

Yes, the NEX7 did come out with a lot of hype, and it was nearly impossible to get one initially. The RX1 almost came out of nowhere, even though it is a far more compelling camera than the NEX7 (in retrospect).

APSC crop mode will give 16MP and M43 crop size will give 10.7MP w/ 36MP sensor. So it is pretty much comparable to Nex-6 w/ existing native lenses. Yes, the fun side is the legacy lenses like rf/Contax g lenses. Contax g af adapter is not fast but works and much easier to focus manually with the motor.

I read the new FF cams will come with "crop mode" so you can use the really lousy NEX APS-C glass on it, lol.

Seriously, though, there are a few (very few) good lenses, and the rumor is the micro-lenses are optimized for the short distance, so legacy lenses might be pretty fun here.

Looks promising to me. About the size of the RX1 with the EVF in place, with the menus and controls of the RX1, and with a grip added. None of the lenses give me a reason to go this way, but if it works well enough with legacy lenses, I could see sticking a couple of Voitlander lenses on this bad boy (I"m thinking the 15 and 24. I'm sure I'll check out a loaner of this and if I like it with manual focus, you never know. But the AF lenses they're talking about so far do nothing for me...

-Ray

Back