Sony Sony FF A7 and A7r

Another size comparison:
qksb.jpg

Nice!

Serhan, are you secretly working for Sony? You are causing way too much GAS in me!!

I wish:) Carrying FF 5D+40D+lenses killed my back at those European trips:( I started w/ DP1 in 2008 and it took 5 years to finally sb came w/ a mirrorless FF ILC (Leica is not counted as they are still using mirrors in their rf:)) One more:

10275074484_edf09cf755_o.jpg

Nice!

Serhan, are you secretly working for Sony? You are causing way too much GAS in me!!

Hadn't thought of putting Zeiss manual glass on it. If it works. I could give house-room to an A7 and a Zeiss Distagon 21mm.

LouisB

It might not balance well but I am sure it is usable esp w/ grip. I am using Zeiss 100mm Makro both w/ nex and gx7.

Hadn't thought of putting Zeiss manual glass on it. If it works. I could give house-room to an A7 and a Zeiss Distagon 21mm.

LouisB

Oh boy, is this going to kick the Leica`s X-Vario backside with the 28-70mm. A FF24MP sensor, integrated EVF with 2.4M dot resolution and costing USD 1500 less. And my 4 year old M9 could finance more than the price for the AA 36MP model. Almost scary.

As I said on the Sony RX1 shooter's FB page, I really like what Sony is doing with some of the features here. The EVF, the huge resolution, weather sealing right out of the gate. But, there's also a few things that are really going to hold me back from being an early adopter (if ever), mainly the Sony flash support and lens selection (or lack thereof). After experiencing such a lousy time getting my RX1 to play nicely with simple off camera flash I'm not exactly eager to expand my Sony camera collection ;)

Fora any system, I need fast lenses and wide lenses, and the 55mm is just such an odd choice for a first prime. I am definitely happy to see this developing and I'm curious to see where the lens selection goes in the future but the decision to go with yet another lens mount and start from scratch on lens selection really handicaps the system for me. Granted there's apparently at least an E mount to A mount adapter coming, but that's hardly ideal.

As much as I love full frame sensors and mirrorless, I'm in a definite "wait and see" mode for the A7 so far.

Sony is on thin stretch competing w/ Canikon, Fuji, M43, and maybe now Leica, etc but Sony e-mount is the mostly wide adapted lens mount due to it is the first company to use peaking plus the initial lens deficiency, and lastly e-mount is open to developers. So there are widely adapters available and more coming. There are already e to a mount adapters which are also used in VG900 (FF video camera) but those lenses will be huge on A7,see the flickr samples:
Sony NEX-VG900

I have contax g-nex af adapter and canon ef af adapters, not fast but they af... VG900 wasn't doing good w/ Leica m wides. Again key is the microlenses for wider lenses as it is the first company to do it after Leica... It is going to be lots of testing to see what works but mostly small slr lenses should not have any problems...

As I said on the Sony RX1 shooter's FB page, I really like what Sony is doing with some of the features here. The EVF, the huge resolution, weather sealing right out of the gate. But, there's also a few things that are really going to hold me back from being an early adopter (if ever), mainly the Sony flash support and lens selection (or lack thereof). After experiencing such a lousy time getting my RX1 to play nicely with simple off camera flash I'm not exactly eager to expand my Sony camera collection ;)

Fora any system, I need fast lenses and wide lenses, and the 55mm is just such an odd choice for a first prime. I am definitely happy to see this developing and I'm curious to see where the lens selection goes in the future but the decision to go with yet another lens mount and start from scratch on lens selection really handicaps the system for me. Granted there's apparently at least an E mount to A mount adapter coming, but that's hardly ideal.

As much as I love full frame sensors and mirrorless, I'm in a definite "wait and see" mode for the A7 so far.
I'm kind of in wait and see mode too, but for me it's gonna hinge on how well I'd get on with manual focus lenses. Flash isn't an issue for me, but fast wide lenses are. Sony doesn't look like that's a priority to them, but there are some very nice and affordable Voitlander's and others, from 15-28 that should work really well with this body. With no crop factor, these will be truly wide angle alternatives, unlike with APS or m43 bodies. It's not tough to focus a wide angle to begin with, and with Sony's excellent focus peaking setup, it could be kind of fun. I'm certainly gonna check one of these out, but whether I'd buy one is a question I don't think I'll be able to answer for a while... But I could envision it if I really like it. Sony full frame for the wide end up to about neutral, m43 for the longer stuff, and the Nikon A for street shooting. May not happen, but it's plausible to think about...

-Ray

I'm kind of in wait and see mode too, but for me it's gonna hinge on how well I'd get on with manual focus lenses. Flash isn't an issue for me, but fast wide lenses are. Sony doesn't look like that's a priority to them, but there are some very nice and affordable Voitlander's and others, from 15-28 that should work really well with this body. With no crop factor, these will be truly wide angle alternatives, unlike with APS or m43 bodies. It's not tough to focus a wide angle to begin with, and with Sony's excellent focus peaking setup, it could be kind of fun. I'm certainly gonna check one of these out, but whether I'd buy one is a question I don't think I'll be able to answer for a while... But I could envision it if I really like it. Sony full frame for the wide end up to about neutral, m43 for the longer stuff, and the Nikon A for street shooting. May not happen, but it's plausible to think about...

That's a fair point, and I agree I'd love a couple manual voigtlanders or something similar on a FF sensor. But that being said, I don't think I could see spending that kind of money and not getting at least a couple key AF lenses with the system as well. If they added at least a wide angle zoom and say, a 35mm f/1.4, I'd suddenly be a lot more interested.

The next year or two will be interesting to see where they go with the lens roadmap!

If it turns out to be real, then Sony will likely have a winner on their hands. The RX1 is a fine camera, and has amazing IQ. I think a ILC version with more lens options, plus built in EVF would likely be attractive to many people. Sony is innovating and pushing the boundaries, so I applaud their efforts.

More leaks one day before the release, this time from diglloyd:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...glloyd.com/blog/2013/20131015_2-Sony-A7R.html

35mm f/2.8 Sonnar 120 grams
SonyA7r-35f2_8-front-oblique,std.jpg

Compare the size and weight:
Sony A7R: 465g with battery and card + 120g for the 35/2.8 lens.
Olympus E-M1: 497g with battery and card + 120g for the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 lens

This is where the small package ends:

24-70mm f/4 460 grams
SonyA7r-24_70f4-front-oblique,std.jpg

70-200 f/4 840 gram (without tripod collar)
Sony-70_200f4,std.jpg

and 55mm 1.8, 281 gram & a Sonnar design, 1100 Euro:
(SR5) First image of the Full Frame Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar E-mount lens. Costs around 1100 Euro. - sonyalpharumors

Sony_Zeiss_55mm_18_zps8dc902dc.jpg

Pricing:

Cameras:
- The leaked Samy price for the A7r could be wrong. Instead of $2198 the price should be $2298. In Europe the price is likely 2400 Euro.
- The A7 body only costs $1698 as leaked on Samys.
- $1998 (or 1999 Euro) is what you pay for the A7 kit version with the 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens.

Lenses:
- The Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 prime lens will cost 800 Euro and in US $800
- The Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 prime lens will cost 1100 Euro and in US $1000
- The Sony 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom will cost around 500 Euro (not sure yet about price in USA)
- The Zeiss 24-70mm f/4.0 zoom will cost around $1200 (not sure yet about price in Europe)

Looks promising to me. About the size of the RX1 with the EVF in place, with the menus and controls of the RX1, and with a grip added. None of the lenses give me a reason to go this way, but if it works well enough with legacy lenses, I could see sticking a couple of Voitlander lenses on this bad boy (I"m thinking the 15 and 24. I'm sure I'll check out a loaner of this and if I like it with manual focus, you never know. But the AF lenses they're talking about so far do nothing for me...

-Ray

Yep, I'm interested in this beast for manual lenses also, I don't really like the Leica style of shooting through the viewfinder, not wanting disrespect for that matter, but I do prefer the tilting screen and looking down to take pictures using the live view focusing helpers. I loved doing that with the Nex family of cameras, being able to do it full frame would be great for me.

Back