Leica Sony First on market with Full-Frame BSI Sensor.

Brian

Product of the Fifties
It will be interesting to see how this sensor does with Leica mount lenses.

Alpha 7R II - Full-frame Interchangeable Lens Mirrorless Camera

1) Let's hope they used a thinner IR cut filter, else- it will need to be swapped out;
2) They offer truly uncompressed RAW and not the 11-bit adaptive compression routine that leaves artifacts in the image. Why have 42MPixels and great lenses and throw away information.

Leica needs to move to BSI sensors for the next M.

Anyone planning on getting one?

RawDigger: detecting posterization in SONY cRAW/ARW2 files

In case anyone wants to see some of the problems with the Sony compression scheme.

Hard to understand why anyone making a high resolution sensor would allow the firmware to destroy their work. It's too bad that the Samsung NX mount has such a large flange distance. Maybe someone will just hack the Sony firmware.

Just as bad as taking perfectly good 14-bit output and destroying it by making it 12-bits.

Eventually. I am starting to get the urge again to switch out of Leica and into something different. I've played with Sony a few times already (A7, A7r and the A7 II). Great images coming from the Sony sensor and the Zeiss lens. The new Batis looks great. So was the 55mm FE lens. I just really dislike the look of the Sony A7 body. The other thing I don't like is the EVF. I mean, great EVF, possibly, the best out there but still an EVF. Just like optical better.

I will be sticking with the M9, M Monochrom, M8 for a very long time. Especially now that the M8 has uncompressed RAW mode and I wrote my own software for them.

If Sony learns how to store a lossless RAW file, I'd be able to consider it. I don't feel like trying to write software to deal with lossy/compressed raw data.

TY for pointing out this, but I'll have to see it shoot Leica wides to believe it LOL. I think of all the marketing behind the original R with it's offset wells or whatever they called them. But will be very nice if true.

The geometry is there for BSI sensors: the light does not have to go through the wiring layer to get to the photosensitive portion of the chip. The layer in between the photosensitive layer and the wiring can remain thick: CMOSIS thinned this layer, I am speculating that it increased fixed-pattern noise. Put the wiring in too close to the photodetector, you get induction.

Back