Sony Sony Nex 5 or C3?

teshi

Rookie
Sep 1, 2011
Personally if you are only going to be using as a body for mainly MF lenses, I would try and track down a NEX-3 instead since it will be cheapest out of the lot and the IQ is going to be the same as the NEX-5 unless you want to go for AVCHD video.

I have sat down with the NEX-3, 5, 5n and 7 running the same lenses but there is not much in it between them all when you crop em all to 100%. The improvements you will find are more in the layout, and when you start using AF lenses with em.

Ballenxj

Regular
Dec 17, 2011
Personally if you are only going to be using as a body for mainly MF lenses, I would try and track down a NEX-3 instead since it will be cheapest out of the lot and the IQ is going to be the same as the NEX-5 unless you want to go for AVCHD video.

I have sat down with the NEX-3, 5, 5n and 7 running the same lenses but there is not much in it between them all when you crop em all to 100%. The improvements you will find are more in the layout, and when you start using AF lenses with em.
Isn't the NEX 5 the first to have peaking with upgraded firmware though?
-Bruce

teshi

Rookie
Sep 1, 2011
Isn't the NEX 5 the first to have peaking with upgraded firmware though?
-Bruce
FW update 0.4 for both NEX3 and 5 included this so you would be safe with either. I found this good and bad depending on what you are shooting. If you had non moving subjects etc I found peak focus with a thick outline great but with moving subjects such as people etc, I found the MF assist as a softkey a much more efficient solution. Did an entire wedding that way but I suppose it is a debatable subject. :)

EDIT : Just seen the purchase has been made. Be interesting to see some samples.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom