Sony Sony Nex 5 or C3?

Name
Andy
I have a chance of picking up a NEX 5 cheap and also a C3. It will be used exclusively for my Manual focus lenses as it does a better job than my G3 annoyingly :D

Which would give better IQ? I have not played with the C3 yet so if I get time I will take some shots at work. I remember my old NEX 5 being rather good with MF lenses!

Andy. I am blown away by my C3. I bought it to replace my GF1. I liked the GF1 but Just could not get the best out of it. I struggled to tell the difference between my Canon G11 and the GF1.

The 'Peaking' focusing system is just great and super quick. One caveat though. The dust reduction/cleaning system on the Sony is not anyway near as good as the M4/3rd cameras. The fact is you WILL not might get dust on the sensor. You will have to invest in some type of sensor cleaning device.

Andy, since getting my C3 I hardly use my Nikon DSLR you may find it's the only camera you need......................oh did I mention the quirky menu system and not so hot white balance?

Overall I'm chuffed to bits. A Nikon D7000 in a small package.

The Nex 5 has a very good feel. If it was a choice between the NEX 5 and Nex 3 The 5 would come out top. Since the Nex C3 come out my opinion has changed a bit. The Nex 5 is still the better to hold, but not by much. The C3 feels great in the hand (of course this can be personal choice, shape of hands etc) and I have no problems. I dont think you will be disappointed with either. The C3 has the better sensor though and as such the better IQ at higher ISO.

Adam

The 5N is said to have an optional, excellent Electronic Viewfinder. In case of MF I would prefer to have that option.
Better contrast than the LCD, because of shading.
I would at least have a look at it before buying something.
Jan

I'm with Armanius and Jankapp here. If its between the two then the C3. But if you can find some more money the NEX-5n is a wonderful camera. I've been "gushing" about it for ages on my blog and have used little else for weeks. If you want to use manual focus lenses on it then with the EVF and the peaking function it is simply the best method I've ever used for manually focusing lenses.

I sold my NEX-5 after a week. I've just bought another NEX-5n as a backup. I know thats not quite what your original post was about, but if you're looking to get another NEX camera, then the 5n is difficult to beat.

I didn't quite sell my Leica M9 because of it, but it was an important factor in my decision.

It must be me Armanius. I don't understand your post.:)

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that I'd choose the C3 over the 5. But that my point of reference for my opinion is based on comparisons of the 3 and 5 vs. the 5N. I've never used the C3. But I'm assuming the C3 is somewhat similar in IQ to the 5N, which in my opinion, is better image quality wise than the 3 and 5.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks everyone.

I have had a NEX 5 before and found it to be the best for manal lenses out of all the cameras i have ever owned. The problem is I forgot about the Olympus Pen's and their body image stabalizer! I'm still thinking the nex will be the best option for mf lenses.

The C3 (and 5N) have some sort of improved sensor (micro lenses or some such), that are supposed to reduce edge smearing with wide angle rangefinder lenses. If you use SLR lenses it won't make a difference.

I have no experience with the C3 but I do have a 5 and a 5N. The 5N is much better than the 5. These are the advantages:

- better sensor (the 5 has a colour shift problem with wide angle rangefinder lenses; the 5N is much better)
- better ergonomics (more customization of buttons)
- electronic 1st curtain
- much faster response; almost no shutter lag (the 5 is slooow)
- better AF probably (but I only use MF lenses)
- possibility of EVF (the 5 has no VF at all, except for the 16mm

If the C3 is very like the 5N (which I think it is) I would choose the C3

Looks like the C3 will be the one to go for. The IQ of the 5n would have to be significantly better than the C3 to make it worth going for one of those and i'm guessing the IQ will be just about identical.

I have a chance of picking up a NEX 5 cheap and also a C3. It will be used exclusively for my Manual focus lenses as it does a better job than my G3 annoyingly :D

Which would give better IQ? I have not played with the C3 yet so if I get time I will take some shots at work. I remember my old NEX 5 being rather good with MF lenses!
It's good to hear the NEX 5 is good with manual lenses. :cool:
-Bruce

Looks like the C3 will be the one to go for. The IQ of the 5n would have to be significantly better than the C3 to make it worth going for one of those and i'm guessing the IQ will be just about identical.

I chose the C3 over the 5N. In fact, I sold the 5N and bought a used C3. My reasons were purely financial: The C3 was a couple hundred bucks cheaper (used), and there was no meaningful difference in image quality for my purposes. Based on my own testing, aside from the lower base ISO, the 5N sensor behaves like a C3 sensor plus on-chip noise reduction. I liked the handling with both cameras.

Thanks. I wonder if my NEX 5 has it also? I guess I should read the manual more. :)
-Bruce

If you upgrade the firmware to the latest version from SONY then it will have focus peeking.

I chose the C3 over the 5N. In fact, I sold the 5N and bought a used C3. My reasons were purely financial: The C3 was a couple hundred bucks cheaper (used), and there was no meaningful difference in image quality for my purposes. Based on my own testing, aside from the lower base ISO, the 5N sensor behaves like a C3 sensor plus on-chip noise reduction. I liked the handling with both cameras.

Yeah I could not see much, if any IQ difference and the C3 is so much cheaper, It was a bit of a no brainer really plus it looks very sexy in black :D

Back