Sony Sony NEX-7

I had a chance to handle NEX-7 yesterday. I think this is the best mirrorless camera out there and it will be unmatched for quite some time simply because other companies don't have the technologies necessary to create the ultimate package, so to speak.

The 2.4MP OLED viewfinder is stunning. It's very smooth and detailed and it's the same size as the A900 viewfinder. It's so good it looks just like a good OVF but with all the additional information.

The metal body is just the perfect size and shape. The camera feels extremely sturdy and it handles ridiculously well. Because the viewfinder is located on the lest side, your nose won't be constantly pressed into the LCD screen.

NEX-7's user interface is really well thought-out. The camera has three control wheels and it enables direct access to all three exposure variables:

- in the M mode, you can change ISO, shutter speed and aperture without pressing any buttons;
- in the S and A modes, you can change ISO, shutter speed/aperture and exposure compensation;
- in the P mode, you can change ISO, exposure pair (program shift) and exposure compensation.

There is a button located near the shutter button that allows you to quickly cycle through some other adjustments:
- focus mode;
- AF zone;
- white balance, including fine tune options.

NEX-7 is so great it's crazy. Unfortunately, Sony's lens line-up leaves much to desire. This may be a deal-breaker for some and it certainly is for me.

NEX-7 is so great it's crazy. Unfortunately, Sony's lens line-up leaves much to desire. This may be a deal-breaker for some and it certainly is for me.

Tragic isn't it - that new panasonic 14-42 pancake shows what can be done - I'm not sure that I'll be able to resist, but I'd really like it to have some decent compact lenses to go with it.

impressive

I had a chance to handle NEX-7 yesterday. I think this is the best mirrorless camera out there and it will be unmatched for quite some time simply because other companies don't have the technologies necessary to create the ultimate package, so to speak.

The 2.4MP OLED viewfinder is stunning. It's very smooth and detailed and it's the same size as the A900 viewfinder. It's so good it looks just like a good OVF but with all the additional information.

The metal body is just the perfect size and shape. The camera feels extremely sturdy and it handles ridiculously well. Because the viewfinder is located on the lest side, your nose won't be constantly pressed into the LCD screen.

NEX-7's user interface is really well thought-out. The camera has three control wheels and it enables direct access to all three exposure variables:

- in the M mode, you can change ISO, shutter speed and aperture without pressing any buttons;
- in the S and A modes, you can change ISO, shutter speed/aperture and exposure compensation;
- in the P mode, you can change ISO, exposure pair (program shift) and exposure compensation.

There is a button located near the shutter button that allows you to quickly cycle through some other adjustments:
- focus mode;
- AF zone;
- white balance, including fine tune options.

It does seem like it is going to be the new standard, with the price to go with it.

Back