Sony Sony Repair

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
My Sony a7II seems to have bit the dust. I get the dreaded "Camera Error Turn off camera and power on", which does precisely nothing. I think it is the sensor cleaner mechanism, since if, after repeated restarts and repeated little moves to the sensor cleaner mode, the sensor will not shake when enter is pressed for the cleaning. I get the message at every restart sooner of later, and then it will wait a while before coming on. I'm sure I've tried everything in camera. Anyone have any suggestions or know of a good Sony repair center. The camera cost me $900 used in what I thought was a bargain. If it is going to cost $500 to fix it, I'll sell it for parts, sell the Sony Zeiss Sonnar 24-70 f4 and figure my foray into full frame was ill advised.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a bummer. I don't have any suggestions for repair sites, but I have successfully sold some non-working equipment on eBay. I just label it as such with 'for parts or repair'.
I got a lot more than I expected for a Nikkor 85mm f1.4 which I dropped!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Sony, here are some links to get your homework started.

That is a bummer.
How many shutter actuation's has it had?
Is this with a freshly charged battery?
What software version is it running?
Excuse all the questions, I've got an A7ii also and would like to know what to expect from it.

That is a bummer.
How many shutter actuation's has it had?
Is this with a freshly charged battery?
What software version is it running?
Excuse all the questions, I've got an A7ii also and would like to know what to expect from it.
It has about a thousand actuations when I bought it, so I assume it had undergone shutter replacement . No 8 years old camera has 1000 shutter actuations. But it's 8 years old and the issue is apparently not uncommon, even on the later cameras. It's basically more of a "something serious is wrong" than a specific issue." I found a place in California, Video One Repair, that answered my email promptly. Estimates are free, and if you don't repair it they don't charge you for return shipping. The issues that cause the error can cost anywhere between $225 to $475 to fix. I'll probably use them and make a decision once I get a firm estimate. The last I knew, which admittedly was some years ago, there was only one local camera repair facility in Albuquerque that did the work on site. Everyone else shipped your unit out.

OH! I upgraded the firmware as soon as I got it in January. And yes, it had a fresh battery in it, OEM, though I do use the Wasabi batteries also.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Sony, here are some links to get your homework started.

Thanks I'll check them out more thoroughly later. Last I knew only APC Camera repair here in Albuquerque did the work on site. Every other place advertised repairs, but sent them out. It that is the case, I'd rather chose the outfit it is mailed to myself and have found what I think is a good option in California. Anyway, I'll wait until June, as May is going to be busy with visitors and medical appointments, and I still have a little armory of working shooters.

Well, I got good news from B&H! The camera died a day before their used 90 warranty expired (the 25th of April and I received it the 26th of January) but I'd forgotten about it, so did not contact them until yesterday. I got an email this morning that they will honor the warranty and asking me how I wanted to proceed. I'm awaiting a return authorization. It was a squeaker, but I slipped in under the warranty. Good news. I'll take an exchange if they have and a7 series camera around the same used price (but not the a7s, as I don't do much video). Celebrating the good news with an extra cup of good coffee this morning.

Well, I got good news from B&H! The camera died a day before their used 90 warranty expired (the 25th of April and I received it the 26th of January) but I'd forgotten about it, so did not contact them until yesterday. I got an email this morning that they will honor the warranty and asking me how I wanted to proceed. I'm awaiting a return authorization. It was a squeaker, but I slipped in under the warranty. Good news. I'll take an exchange if they have and a7 series camera around the same used price (but not the a7s, as I don't do much video). Celebrating the good news with an extra cup of good coffee this morning.
B&H has good CS, glad it worked out for you. If they don't have a camera, make sure to check out KEH and MPB as well. They both offer 180 day warranties.

B&H has good CS, glad it worked out for you. If they don't have a camera, make sure to check out KEH and MPB as well. They both offer 180 day warranties.
I decided to put in some more money to get a new a7ii. I didn't think they would have any, but apparently Sony made the camera, or at least fulfilled orders for it, until 2021. I don't understand the marketing strategy, but it works for me. With the refund for the broken one, I won't be out too much more.

I decided to put in some more money to get a new a7ii. I didn't think they would have any, but apparently Sony made the camera, or at least fulfilled orders for it, until 2021. I don't understand the marketing strategy, but it works for me. With the refund for the broken one, I won't be out too much more.
Yep. I remember they dropped the A7 II just before the A7 IV was released. They ceased/suspended production on many models due to the chip shortage. I'm with you on the strategy, makes no sense to me to keep all those models in production, but then again I guess if people are still buying, why not!

Congrats on the new camera!

LOL, was looking through the forum and found the thread about A7 II production down below.

Last edited:
Back