Sony Sony RX-100 User Thread

:eek:
That's a pretty bad jpg engine!

Maybe they consciously decided to trade-off DR against some other attribute(s) since they offer the auto-HDR mode when you're shooting jpegs??? I don't know if this makes any sense, but it occurred to me. I've been shooting raw since LR 4.2 became available...

-Ray

Maybe they consciously decided to trade-off DR against some other attribute(s) since they offer the auto-HDR mode when you're shooting jpegs??? I don't know if this makes any sense, but it occurred to me. I've been shooting raw since LR 4.2 became available...

-Ray

There is something I don't understand, I ask LR 4.1 to check for new versions and it says that my version is up to date and I see that you have version 4.2, how is it that my version isn't updating? Thanks for your help :).

LR 4.2 is currently in Release Candidate stage - it's not completely finalised so it won't show up when you check for an up to date version until it is finalised. To get the Release Candidate of 4.2 go here.

Hi to everyone here,
I have some questions that will help me decide on my choice of 'serious compact', so all you RX100 owners here can you answer me these questions, please,

Is there a 3rd party battery charger available to buy now, if so who makes it & how much does it cost ?

Can you buy extra batteries now for the RX100 , either genuine Sony or cheaper alternatives ?

Does the RX100 support a wired remote shutter release or wireless/ infrared, or could I even adapt a manual cable on the shutter button ?

Is the Richard Freniac grip worth getting & a wrist strap, for added security ?

Best way to mount extra filters, both NDs & a circular polariser, glue-on adapter ring ( not too happy about this on a new camera.... ) or a tripod bush mount ?

Thanks for your input as at the moment I have my own 'serious compact' Wish List to choose from,( dependent on spare cash available ) to decide the one that will best suit me & my style of photography...............RX100, LX7, EX2F, P7700, XZ2iHS, Fuji XF1.........so far, maybe more to come !

3rd party batteries and chargers are available on ebay for around 20 dollars delivered.

DSTE 2PCS 1450mAh NP-BX1 Battery + DC134 Charger for Sony DSC-RX100 Camera NEW | eBay

It doesn't support a wired shutter release or infrared. There are non threaded set ups available, though I haven't tried any.

hama.co.uk | 005345 Hama Wire Release for Digital Cameras
Cable Release Bracket for Compact Cameras
Amazon.com: Kaiser Strap-on Cable Release Adapter For Point and Shoot Cameras Without A Threaded Shutter Release Socket #206154: Electronics

The Freniac grip is amazing. I have large hands and it is perfect for me. I use the wrist strap that came with the camera. Not sure about any need for added security.

Mounting filters can be done one of three ways (they use 3M adhesive which holds strong and releases when you no longer want it);

MagFilter Threaded Adapter Ring by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store (coming soon)
Canon PowerShot G1 X Lensmate Products and Accessories
Adapter Adapterring Filteradapter Sony DSC-RX100 anbringen - YouTube

Is there a 3rd party battery charger available to buy now, if so who makes it & how much does it cost ?

Wasabi model with two batts and charger for $19 seems to get good reviews (for the most part) on amazon.

i just bought one. it arrived this week. i just charged up the batts in the wall charger, so can't say yet how the whole system really is in the field.

Click here for the amazon sales page

katsa.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

But I just got my new RX100 II and noticed that the shutter button is a little bit loose and wobbly. No issues with functionality , it works perfectly fine. Just curious if this is by design or I have a faulty product.

New member here. Just sold off my NEX6+kitlens+accessories and got myself a RX100 (mkI) instead. I have a 5DIII + L lenses to cover the 'quality' pictures, but really wanted something even more pocketable than the NEX and so far it seems the RX100 delivers. Just compared some (raw) pictures shot at ISO1600 with my NEX6 to the RX100 and they are pretty close (to my amazement!!). Really looking forward to getting to know this little gem better. All tips welcome!

Welcome Hans,

I hope you enjoy your new purchase. My tips are; reduce the shooting display to the minimum as all those icons and symbols just get in the way of the image. I use the rule-of-thirds gridlines to help keep my verticals vertical, and the artificial horizon display when I'm not sure. Apart from that I switch everything off - even those nice analogue indications of shutter speed and aperture. I've set up the centre control button to toggle between auto and manual focus, as others have recommended, and I've set the front control ring to control exposure compensation.

Final tip - when you're tired and you've had a couple of drinks, set the camera to iAuto. The results are better that way.

-R

New member here. Just sold off my NEX6+kitlens+accessories and got myself a RX100 (mkI) instead. I have a 5DIII + L lenses to cover the 'quality' pictures, but really wanted something even more pocketable than the NEX and so far it seems the RX100 delivers. Just compared some (raw) pictures shot at ISO1600 with my NEX6 to the RX100 and they are pretty close (to my amazement!!). Really looking forward to getting to know this little gem better. All tips welcome!

Welcome to the forum, and to the RX100 - both of which are excellent! (y)

A number of people on here are using this camera to great effect, and you'll find some useful tips - plus some excellent images - if you browse the RX100 sub-section.

Edit: some good tips from Richard (above).

Just got my RX100 M2 today and was wondering if there are any recommended setting for OOC jpegs? Also, how is the jpeg engine of RX100 M2? Is it good enough or is it better to just shoot raw and process?

Back