Sony Sony RX-100 User Thread

Hey that's great, you're full of ressources, I indeed found them in cans in coop :) - being helped on beer availability in switzerland in a photog forum from someone in the US was unexpected ;)

Cheers to you.

Kian, I believe you can get it in Coop - though only in cans. This is the website of the local agent for Switzerland: Startseite - Auslaendische Biere AG - Arlesheim -. They should be able to let you know where to get it.

Your welcome. I spend most of my life living overseas - in fact, I'm living overseas in the U.S. right now - so I've learned how to track down sources of life's essentials, like good beer.

Truly a pocket camera

Ever since I came to this web site I have been waiting for the truly pocket-able camera with great IQ. TheRX100 finally fits the bill. No camera is perfect but this one is closer to the small size and high IQ that I have wanted.

RX100BW.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for you answer. If you use the local dc craigslist, you can easily sell your slr equipment. Mirrorless camera/lenses go slower but I see more listings now. Still people are catching up with the small serious compacts... Be careful also eg somebody tried to steal my 5D and I know someone posted that his Nikon dslr was stolen on a street in DC when he was selling.

For nex 7, you can get good used deals at B&H and Keh. It was the hottest camera 6 months ago before x-pro 1 and omd, now more people are switching to the latest.

Thanks. The blue shot is taken in the Hirshhorn Museum on the Mall. It's part of one of the current exhibitions. I agree on the LX and the 24mm starting point. Even though I have the RX100 now I'm still reluctant to move the LX3 on since I still appreciate the wide fast option. Who knows, if the reviews are good, I might even be tempted to pick up the LX7. Right now I'm on the verge of selling the DLSR and all lenses and the NEX5 and buying an NEX7. A line up of LX3/7, RX100 and NEX7 would be nice.

I just posted some pics taken this morning at a farmers' market in Maryville, Tennessee on my flickr stream. I guess it is about time I learned how to get flickr pictures onto these threads. I am very pleased with the handling of the camera on the street, even with my relatively big hands. The camera is nearly silent on the street. There was background music playing and I could not hear the camera at all while shooting, and I don't think anyone else could based on reactions. As a street camera it is so small as to be non-threatening, and the focus is fast, as is the start-up time. Everything was shot on Aperture priority mostly set at f5.6 with ISO auto. I did find that I sometimes moved the ring to f6.3 by accident. Since the ring does not have stops it is easy to move a little bit. In this case "no harm, no foul."

I have a question for the kind folks that have posted pics in this thread.
When you use the sony image data converter program and look at images at 100% (on my imac about four imacs big) how is the grain and focus.
I'd love to compare and determine if there's some camera shake on my part in a couple of pics I've taken.
Are the pics posted above 100% crops or just the whole photo ?

I promise to post some soon. My collection of RX100 pics is growing !

The pics of my grandson are the whole picture, no crops (the ones above here have been reduced in size for uploading, the ones on page 3 have original size on flickr.). They look and print fine at 8x10. I haven't tried the RAW yet so can't help you there. I am very happy with this camera.

One far and one close

Mobelby, yes RX100 pics will show a little grain, very little, at 100%, but I have not tried printing any yet. If one were to print 11x14 my guess is they would look good. If I were intending prints any large I would probably use a larger sensor camera. None of the pics I post are from the RX100 are cropped, just reduced. Here is one far and one close, both at 28mm.
SunsetTN.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BeeOverFlower.jpg

1/400, f8, ISO125

I REALLY like the bee (or is it a wasp?) shot, Dan! Love how the garden is still recognisable, and the ehm... pollen? anyway the yellow flower's reproductive dust specks covering the bee's body :)

Mobelby, yes RX100 pics will show a little grain, very little, at 100%, but I have not tried printing any yet. If one were to print 11x14 my guess is they would look good. If I were intending prints any large I would probably use a larger sensor camera. None of the pics I post are from the RX100 are cropped, just reduced.
I can't imagine they wouldn't look wonderful at 11x14. I have a number of 12x18" prints from the X10, GRD3, and LX5 that look VERY good. The Sony out-resolves the daylights out of any of those cameras, so I can't see how it wouldn't do fine there. I'd hazard a guess it would do very well even at 16x20 or larger...

-Ray

I REALLY like the bee (or is it a wasp?) shot, Dan! Love how the garden is still recognisable, and the ehm... pollen? anyway the yellow flower's reproductive dust specks covering the bee's body :)
It is a bee, and if I understand the terminology correctly the yellow dust is pollen, but I don't know the correct word for the big orange lump under the body which is, I believe, going back to the hive to make honey. This bee was so heavily loaded that its movements were a bit sluggish, making picture possible.

Am I right in thinking the RX100 doesn't actually have a Macro mode? I have seen a few close up/macro shots and they have in my opinion been rather poor but there are a few on this thread that look most excellent!

It is a bee, and if I understand the terminology correctly the yellow dust is pollen, but I don't know the correct word for the big orange lump under the body which is, I believe, going back to the hive to make honey. This bee was so heavily loaded that its movements were a bit sluggish, making picture possible.

Hi,

The orange thing on the bees leg is called the pollen basket.:) Bees are great and very important insects that we must protect and preserve. Thanks for the photos, I love the bee shot best!;)

Back