Sony Sony RX-100 User Thread

Here's my first photo to add to the thread I started :)

Hopefully it demonstrates the portrait abilities of this little marvel:

7761760818_0a4daa48b0_b.jpg

Brilliant processing. I'm not a B&W processing pro. Do you think the EX100 is responding very well to SEP, or does it take extra work to get the look you want?

I think the RX100 files are very easy to work with SEP. I usually pick one of the favorites, choose a film type on top of it and sometimes add one of the fllters, and depending on the result may do a little tweaking of contrast, structure and shadows.

I've had it for about a week now, and I'm very pleased.
Generally, IQ is good enough for the uses I expected, even at high ISO. And it's fast to use, and well built. And truly pocketable, even jeans-pocketable.
The downsides I've come across are the poor usability of the control ring around the lens, and poorer than expected dynamic range.

After one week of use, I still have difficulties easily setting e.g. exp.comp. with the ring. It feels as if sometimes you have to turn it a lot to adjust it one step, sometimes just a bit. But that's a minor issue. What disappoints me more is the lack of dynamic range. I was looking forward using RX100 at concerts, but after trying this last weekend, I guess I will have to stick to OM-D in that use. With RX100, the foreheads of any band member under the spotlights just blew out so easily. (I'm using SOOC jpeg, but I doubt raw files would be tat much better)

Anyway, even if not cheap, it is worth the money! Will definitely keep it!

Panu

I use the back ring for comp exp. Push down, then turn ring. I used the front/lens ring for FL, mostly so I can set it to an FL I want (28/35/50, etc.). I tried using the front ring for other uses, but it's too imprecise and slow, IMO.

Agree on the DR. It still acts like a pocket camera in that respect. I'd say about 9 EV?

Being that the Nikon J1 with a 1" Sony sensor has 11 EV DR (as measured by DXO) I would expect the RX100 to at least match that. Shooting JPG usually compromises DR in an effort to increase contrast.

actually the J1/V1 uses a sensor by Aptina, which is a sensor manufacturer (and designer) that supplies its products to OEM's. As far as I'm aware, there's some uncertainty whether Sony designed the J1's sensor and licensed it to Aptina, or if it's Aptina's own design, but what's certain is that if you open the Nikon's up it says Aptina on the sensor.

Being that the Nikon J1 with a 1" Sony sensor has 11 EV DR (as measured by DXO) I would expect the RX100 to at least match that. Shooting JPG usually compromises DR in an effort to increase contrast.

I am currently shooting jpg, so that's a fair point if RAW was used.

actually the J1/V1 uses a sensor by Aptina, which is a sensor manufacturer (and designer) that supplies its products to OEM's. As far as I'm aware, there's some uncertainty whether Sony designed the J1's sensor and licensed it to Aptina, or if it's Aptina's own design, but what's certain is that if you open the Nikon's up it says Aptina on the sensor.

I think you're right and I am completely wrong... from what I've gleaned via Google, the Aptina sensor's design is significantly different from the Sony's. Thanks for correcting me!

I use the back ring for comp exp. Push down, then turn ring. I used the front/lens ring for FL, mostly so I can set it to an FL I want (28/35/50, etc.). I tried using the front ring for other uses, but it's too imprecise and slow, IMO.

Agree on the DR. It still acts like a pocket camera in that respect. I'd say about 9 EV?

Odd, DxO tested it at 12.4 EV at ISO80 which is massive, wouldn't even be out of place in a DSLR. Maybe the meter overexposes so you need to dial in negative compensation as default?

Odd, DxO tested it at 12.4 EV at ISO80 which is massive, wouldn't even be out of place in a DSLR. Maybe the meter overexposes so you need to dial in negative compensation as default?

I'll try that, because at 0 EV its blowing highlights regularly. But Im shooting jpg. Not sure if RAW woud be different.

Back