Sony Sony RX1 Full Frame Compact - Sample Images Thread

They do look good. I'm liking the out of focus rendering found in the applicable images.

Camera reviewers and the Sony PR machine are coming together the week of October 8th, so there'll be many more samples published by others now once the embargo is lifted that week. I do want to see more as I'm not completely sold yet but certainly am interested.

I'd be treating this as a 35mm on 35 camera as well as a 52.5mm on APS-C "virtual crop camera", as I believe it has embedded within it the ability to switch to an APS-C crop in-body. Either way, in-body or crop after the fact it's like getting two cameras for the price of one given the large sensor and high pixel count. Almost. Weighs less than two, bonus.

I'd be treating this as a 35mm on 35 camera as well as a 52.5mm on APS-C "virtual crop camera", as I believe it has embedded within it the ability to switch to an APS-C crop in-body. Either way, in-body or crop after the fact it's like getting two cameras for the price of one given the large sensor and high pixel count. Almost. Weighs less than two, bonus.

Mike, I like the way you think. I can just picture myslef trying to explain to my wife that it's not one camera for $2,700......it's 2! If I can figure out a way to sell one of those cameras and recoup half my money, I just might be able to squeak that in the budget. ;)

But do notice

They do look good. I'm liking the out of focus rendering found in the applicable images.

Camera reviewers and the Sony PR machine are coming together the week of October 8th, so there'll be many more samples published by others now once the embargo is lifted that week. I do want to see more as I'm not completely sold yet but certainly am interested.

They are all at base ISO - nothing at high ISO yet - but I'd expect it to be class-leading, bleeding edge, good there at the exorbitant price they're asking for it. Probably the new Sigma DP Merrill cameras will do very similar resolution at lower ISO - and at half the price ( or two for the price of one RX1):rolleyes:

Two of the 15 shots are at other than base ISO:

Glasses on a dark bar: ISO 6400
Outdoor courtyard: ISO 1600

The Sigma DP cameras are cool but not in the same class as a multi-purpose RX1. I could be happy with a Sigma DP for landscapes and still life, but I don't shoot much of the latter and I'd rather have a faster acting camera for the other 80% of what I make photographs of. But yes, they are tempting little beasts.

If I really want just pure resolution I'm already pretty happy with the GXR and Mount A12. Pop a Zeiss ZM25/2.8 on there or even the ZM18/4 and I've no complaints.

In a couple of weeks at the Sony event in California a whole bunch of reviewers and such will get cameras and the publishing embargo will be lifted. We'll soon see what the little camera that could can do in the hands of different folks.

Luke: if it helps, with a 4/3 crop suddenly the RX1 is three cameras in one. Just sayin' ...

Lucky: Was thinking that very same thing, my very first reaction to these photos. They are nice but we are so used to good that its hard to get jaw-dropping out of the gate these days...

I suppose I could crop down to point and shoot sensor size and have a superzoom!

That's it, now you're thinking.

Four cameras in one at the very least. ;)

When the resulting crop is only 3 pixels wide by 2 tall, you can stop. That's an impressive number of cameras in one though...

Very nice. Shame about the dodgy horizon in number3.

I know it's a ridiculous price but I think this is a very desirable camera. Wish I could afford it.

wow Olli, you're hard to please.....I really had to stare at that one to see that the horizon was off. Good thing these all go into a computer so it can be straightened. ;) Put me down as one who wishes he could afford it too.

Back