Sony Sony RX1. Full frame compact.

Three thoughts:

1. Sony probably doesn't plan to make a lot of these. Still, a live fire version will give some feedback about design. This will improve version 2 and, maybe, a cheaper APS-C version.
2. I know the price ($2700, supposedly) is competitive with a DSLR with a similar lens. Still, will it have the AF, AE, and other features of a similar DSLR, not to mention interchangeable lenses? It's primary advantage is size.
3. It could be a really impressive compact street camera. It's not pocketable for sure, but it could be really discreet. If you are that kind of photographer and can afford it, e.g., you sell your work, this will be a no brainer.

Too much $$$ for a focal length I dont use. The streetshooters I know want more DOF generally, and not less, so I'm not sure who this is for, but one nice thing -- given Sony's penchant for making small cameras, this will show us just how small FF mirrorless can get! I'd like to see it in someone's hands for a size comparison. We'll see it soon!

3. It could be a really impressive compact street camera. It's not pocketable for sure, but it could be really discreet. If you are that kind of photographer and can afford it, e.g., you sell your work, this will be a no brainer.
Except that there are so many good street cameras out there already, street photography rarely really depends on amazing IQ (so, not much advantage to the full frame sensor), and most street photographers want more DOF rather than less (so the FF actually becomes a disadvantage). Also, the interface tends to be really important for street work and my experience with Sony cams hasn't been very good in this regard to date. Which doesn't mean this one wouldn't be good, but my initial assumption wouldn't be good. I'm sure there would be some street shooters who might find its just right for them, but I don't see it as a no brainier or a particularly popular street camera, even among those who sell their work and/or can afford to easily.

-Ray

Let me say it better. I could see this being a really good camera for the right type of photographer. I would imagine street work would be the best, but that's just based on the FL of the lens. Landscapes, maybe?

I think Ray is right. This isn't meant to be a street shooter cam. I think it's meant to be travel cam for the wealthy. A deluxe compact in the bag of a DSLR shooter. You can buy a fancy fast $2,000 FF lens or you can pay a touch more and have this handy little pea shooter in your bag.

I think Sony may be testing the waters with this, and maybe bring out an affordable APS-C version in 6 months.....RX-10?

Oh yeah, I forgot . . .

4. Luke will buy one and tell us all about it.:th_salute:

The concept of a compact FF fixed lens camera excites me, but this isn't the one for me. I was shooting the X-Pro1 with a 35mm for a month with no other lenses and I loved it. The price (if i had bought it new) would have been nearly the same. It would be a reach for me to do money-wise (as a hack amatuer photographer), but if it would check all of MY boxes, I would consider it.

I would keep an eye on the Amazon Marketplace.....it'll be flooded with used ones from people who "just want to take it around the block".

Mainly all the early adopters who hang on every word of the camera blogger's p"reviews" and pay their way.

Let me say it better. I could see this being a really good camera for the right type of photographer. I would imagine street work would be the best, but that's just based on the FL of the lens. Landscapes, maybe?

I think the X100 is an obvious comparison. Same classic street focal length, traditional controls, and a rangefinder-esque OVF that allows you to see outside the frame (which the Sony doesn't appear to have and which is a fairly classic street shooting feature). A TON of discussion of what a great street cam it was gonna be before it was released and then a lot of people taking a lot of street shots with it initially, but very few (myself included) continued to use it as a street camera or at least primarily as a street camera. For sure some people are doing a lot of great street work with it, but it's not primarily a street camera for very many of its owners. And it sort of just became a fine all around fixed focal length camera used for travel, landscapes, abstracts, etc - just a really nice little camera to keep handy a lot of the time. I'd see the Sony ending up in a very similar place, but at a higher price point, with even better IQ, and with really narrow DOF for those who really love narrow DOF. Great all around little camera, no doubt some use as a street shooter, but I doubt there'd be all that much.

-Ray

I would not be surprised about this camera as Sony seems to want to make a lot of statements right now. I think they have ambitions. It might also create additional demand for FF sensors in other cameras, which would be a boon to Sony's sensor manufacturing division.

The one thing that bothers me is that the leaked photos show a camera with a standard hot shoe. Has Sony (since the Konica Minolta buyout) ever made a camera with a standard hot shoe? I'm not saying it's fake, but I'm not sure it's real.

Interesting concept, though.

Cheers,

Antonio

The NEX6 is to have a standard hotshoe. It looks as if they've turned the corner on proprietary nonsense.

The one thing that bothers me is that the leaked photos show a camera with a standard hot shoe.

I noticed that too, but this looks pretty real to me.

Some first impressions/thoughts:

1) That's a small camera body, body closer in size to GX1/NEX-7 than it is to X-Pro 1 or M9.

2) The lens is big for the body. That's nothing new for Sony, and I'm not complaining. Just an observation.

3) I would have preferred a bigger body with an integrated viewfinder, especially at this price point.

4) This camera is begging for a shutter speed dial. The mode dial looks out of place.

Very interesting and bold move from Sony.

If it is real, this seems like a good product for gear collectors. For actual photographers I'm not so sure. The sensor size with a fixed lens seems a bit limiting, especially considering a likely high price.

It wouldn't interest me at all.

the more I read these forums, the more I realize that no one wants the same camera as anyone else. It's no wonder camera companies don't know what to make.

And furthermore, if we could each make our own, most of us would be stumped as well.......unless we could make 5 different ones. (this is the billion dollar idea)

Back