Sony Sony RX1. Full frame compact.

Here's a quote from an article in Petapixel I and think that answers all our questions:
'It’s crazy that the 35mm f/2 lens is what gives this camera most of its bulk rather than a beefy body.

Hopefully this camera is to Sony what the X100 was to Fujifilm: an initial fixed-lens camera to test the market before unleashing an interchangeable lens camera on the world. An interchangeable lens version of the RX1 would certainly shake things up… even more than the RX1 will once it officially exists.'

Cheers, Macjim.

My, but what an exciting camera season this has been already! It looks like full frame's time has come in the digital age. Sure, there've always been a few full-frame DSLRs around but now it seems each category of camera is moving up a class in sensor size this year. I'm not complaining. But I think what we're seeing here is not only the ambitions of companies like Sony, but also their fear. The compact digicam class is dead meat now that smartphone cameras are getting so good - and are apparently good enough for the masses. The camera makers are struggling to differentiate their products and prove their continued relevence. I maintain this technology could have been offered to us a number of years ago - but wasn't because the camera companies felt they didn't need to. Times are changing. The RX1 is certainly impressive and I'm hearing (from Mike Johnston's The Oneline Photographer) that optional optical and electronic viewfinders will be available. But while I personally would at least consider a fixed-lens Fuji X100 on sale for $1000, the RX1 is simply too expensive a piece for my tastes and wallet.

My, but what an exciting camera season this has been already! It looks like full frame's time has come in the digital age. Sure, there've always been a few full-frame DSLRs around but now it seems each category of camera is moving up a class in sensor size this year. I'm not complaining. But I think what we're seeing here is not only the ambitions of companies like Sony, but also their fear. The compact digicam class is dead meat now that smartphone cameras are getting so good - and are apparently good enough for the masses. The camera makers are struggling to differentiate their products and prove their continued relevence. I maintain this technology could have been offered to us a number of years ago - but wasn't because the camera companies felt they didn't need to. Times are changing. The RX1 is certainly impressive and I'm hearing (from Mike Johnston's The Oneline Photographer) that optional optical and electronic viewfinders will be available. But while I personally would at least consider a fixed-lens Fuji X100 on sale for $1000, the RX1 is simply too expensive a piece for my tastes and wallet.

I'm hoping that more and more cameras are fitted with full frame sensors. I've always said digital cameras should have been FF – there was no real reason for Pro cameras to be the only DSLR cameras early on as they could have done a basic enthusiast DSLR with full frame and made Pro cameras with the bells and whistles. Yes, I know it was because of the cost of the sensors but I still say DSLR cameras were deliberately fitted with aps-c to make Pro cameras worth the mega thousands they charged in the beginning. Thankfully we're no seeing FF coming our way — maybe the manufacturers have been forced down this road due to drops in sales.

Cheers, Macjim.

I'm hoping that more and more cameras are fitted with full frame sensors. I've always said digital cameras should have been FF – there was no real reason for Pro cameras to be the only DSLR cameras early on as they could have done a basic enthusiast DSLR with full frame and made Pro cameras with the bells and whistles.

If the rumored price of the Nikon D600 is correct, the Panasonic GH3 and the Leica 25mm may cost about the same as the Nikon D600 and a 1.8/50mm. I am going to buy a new camera with a high quality normal lens. I think I'll choose the Micro Four Thirds combination.

If the rumored price of the Nikon D600 is correct, the Panasonic GH3 and the Leica 25mm may cost about the same as the Nikon D600 and a 1.8/50mm. I am going to buy a new camera with a high quality normal lens. I think I'll choose the Micro Four Thirds combination.

I haven't seen any prices but the D600 is on my list for a second camera. Only a canon ?D competitor for the D600 might change my mind.

I haven't seen any prices but the D600 is on my list for a second camera. Only a canon ?D competitor for the D600 might change my mind.

The rumored price is little more (about 10-20%) than the price of the D7000 when it came out. I don't believe that, but it's what the rumors say.

How can you tell its good or bad as it has'nt been released yet......or just pre-judging it from the leaked info ?

Would'nt it be preferable to actually try one out, then comment and decide if you like it or not ?

So it's all true then - just been reading through the DPR previews and watching the Sony YouTube channel. Looks amazing - and a couple of excellent new lenses for NEX.

As a long time Sony DSLR user who got used over the years to occasional slightly condescending comments from users of 'real' cameras I'm feeling quite smug at the minute. Of course, short of a lottery win, I'll never be able to afford an A99 or an RX1.

Now that the official announcements are out, it looks very tempting. For it to satisfy my own quirks, I need to know if it has:

- silent focus and aperture stepping, not the noisy chatter and whir of other cameras
- screen can be turned off completely without a viewfinder in the hotshoe
- fast power up and shoot time
- fast write time and shot-to-shot time

The microphone socket means this is aimed at a segment of the video market, too. I'm assuming that the mic needs to be powered, but if the onboard mics are decent, you'd only need an external mic on occasion or for special purposes.

I'm more than happy to shoot without a viewfinder. While I have external VF's for the Ricoh GRD and Sigma DP cameras, I hardly use them. Same with the OM-D and GXR, I use the LCD far more, as most of my shooting is out of bright sunlight. This camera looks very exciting, although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as Steve Huff appears to be. I see this as a good step in the direction of a digital Contax T3 or Hexar AF. They just need to get the lens smaller and we're there!

I'm more than happy to shoot without a viewfinder. While I have external VF's for the Ricoh GRD and Sigma DP cameras, I hardly use them. Same with the OM-D and GXR, I use the LCD far more, as most of my shooting is out of bright sunlight. This camera looks very exciting, although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as Steve Huff appears to be. I see this as a good step in the direction of a digital Contax T3 or Hexar AF. They just need to get the lens smaller and we're there!

Mee too, never really felt the need to look through a viewfinder (except for longer focal lengths), those who were used to using rollei type of cameras where you look down into the camera and see the image directly probably had problems getting used to viewfinder and/or reflex cameras... A pitty the screen does not tilt, one has to hold the camera like a P&S - that's why I like the nex so much.

One really needs to ponder the rational behind getting this type of camera, there is not much depth of bokeh advantage vs the sony zeiss 24mm f1.8 on nex, the image quality should be the biggest selling point of this camera. I like doing low light shooting and miss dynamic range, shadows and highlights are often problematic, if this new FF sensor really has improved on this I would be considering it, but it is a lot of money to spend on a mono purpose camera...

KianO said:
Depth of bokeh

this doesn't quite make sense, though I think I know what you're getting at

It's possible you are confusing two different concepts:

Depth of field (this camera because of the focal length and "full frame" sensor will have a hyperfocal distance of about 70 feet/20 meters and will have quite shallow depth of field around objects substantially closer than that, but of course this will different as you stop it down)

The "bokeh" will only be able to be judged once someone gets their hands on it and uses it, as this is the subjective "character" of out-of-focus areas.

Back