Sony Sony RX1. Full frame compact.

to be honest I find using "bokeh" where shallow DOF is meant perfectly fine, particularly since it's just (americanized) japanese for "blurry", but DOBokeh is a new one for me indeed :tongue:

The DOF of this lens will be similar to a 24/1.4 or a 23/1.3 lens - so indeed the Fuji X-system with 23/1.4 will be very close in terms of DOF, although I expect the Sony to be clearly ahead in terms of noise performance, given their expertise and the sensor size.

The thing that scares me away from this kind of money for a Sony camera, as great as this is, what is resale going to look like in a year after a newer model comes out...

I don't get that. Why would you like to sell the camera as soon as a newer model comes out, which, by the way, will most probably take longer than a year? Cameras are so good today, that real improvements have become extremely hard to achieve, which makes updates to the next models rather senseless. If I buy that camera, I won't see any need to switch for the next ten years or even for longer.

I don't get that. Why would you like to sell the camera as soon as a newer model comes out, which, by the way, will most probably take longer than a year? Cameras are so good today, that real improvements have become extremely hard to achieve, which makes updates to the next models rather senseless. If I buy that camera, I won't see any need to switch for the next ten years or even for longer.

I see where BruPi is coming from here (I think). There seem to be rapid advances in sensor technology, but lens releases and obsolescence happen at a much more of a slow pace.

This is 100% the thing that's giving me a headache. The tech is moving rapidly, and the bodies (where most of the cost is right now in mirrorless!!!!) are depreciating very quickly, and the newer cameras have pretty significant advances.

Let's say you bought the $1100 NEX 7. Well, the 6 seems to have most all of that, plus PDAF and actually a better sensor and a non-proprietary hot shoe. NEX 7 prices I think will drop quickly. That kind of thing.

There seem to be rapid advances in sensor technology

I don't think so. There is nearly no difference at low ISO between full frame cameras of the last 8 years (at least) and modern cameras and only modest changes at high ISO since the arrival of the Nikon D3 five years ago. The megapixel count is high enough for many years now in order to print larger than most of us will ever do in our whole life. Full frame sensors are so excellent today, that one just doesn't get any real benefit anymore.

The big advances of sensor technology can be found elsewhere today. It's the small sensors where revolutions were made during the last three years or so.

Back