Sony Sony RX1 Full Res Samples Posted on Flickr

Phoblographer:

Though I was a bit offput by the RX1 when I tested the pre-production model, I’ve spent an entire day shooting with it and I’m convinced that with the electronic viewfinder attached, this camera will best nearly anything out there for street photography. The ergonomics are great, the manual focusing is awesome when combined with peaking, the image quality is top notch, and it is pretty darn small.

Something else a Sony rep and I discovered. The RX1 has wireless flash control built in: however, the pop-up flash doesn’t actually act like a master. It is only there for attached Sony flashes. That’s a bummer too; but it could just be the fact that myself and journalists with all coverage coming out right now on the web are dealing with near final production quality units.

Quick Unscientific High ISO Comparison: Canon 5D Mk II, Sony A99, and Sony RX-1

With this and the Leica X-2 out ( the second not ff, I know, but fixed lens with very good IQ), I may be able to afford an X1, which I've wanted since it came out, or even an M-8. I've done a lot of "yesterday's technology" purchases, and usually been happy with them. The E-30 was out before I replaced my E-300 with an E-510, etc. So if I get an X-1 for say $900-1200 when the X-2 comes along, that will work for me.

If I had an extra $3000 right now I'd spend New Years in Paris!!

Back