Sony Sony RX1 smaller than the NEX7 with comparable lens

The lens may even be better on the full frame RX1 than the ZA24/1.8 on APS-C. I know I like the out of focus and general rendering better than my Zeiss 25 on APS-C. The rendering overall looks very pleasing to me.

It is an expensive camera to be sure although not outrageously so for a full frame camera with lens. For someone that only shoots 35mm, or can afford a tool like this as a secondary camera, the price of admission may be worth it to them.

I am sure the price is reasonable for the FF sensor, build quality, and optics, but I still get hung up on spending so much money for a fixed lens camera (electronics/body depreciation/obsolescence, compared to lenses, and then maintenance).

Looking at the sensor plane indicator by the hotshoe, it's no surprise since the lens on the RX1 likely goes deep into the body past the where the mount would be. I don't like that the lens has to go when the one feels it's time to upgrade the camera, but a fixed lens solution is necessary to keep it at this size. Maybe Sony can implement a body replacement service, where customers send in their camera to be disassembled and have the original lens attached to an upgraded body at a lower cost than buying the "RX2."

Maybe I should be bothered by the fixed lens RX1 but for some reason I'm at peace with it.

No doubt future sensors two or three generations removed from this current state of the art sensor will offer compelling reasons for purchase, but I wonder if the current state of the art hasn't arrived at a good-enough point which can last for quite some time?

The camera will remain an excellent tool for making photographs whether they are produced this year or five years from now and probably for a good deal longer.

I don't know if we are at the crest of the hill of diminishing returns or not but I do know that if I had film that acted like this sensor I could keep on shooting just that one film for a long, long, time.

When I think of the fixed lens aspect of this camera my thoughts go back to my experience with the Fuji X100. That camera went with me on a trip to Costa Rica, which included in my gear the GXR and a D7000, and I found that about 90% of what I photographed was with the X100. I did not find, in most cases, any problem with the fixed lens. In fact I thought it helped my photography in some respects. Thoughts like these attract me to the RX1, but there is a price to pay, and that is no small hurdle. Sony is producing some fine tools, and I applaud them for that.

I like the idea of having a fixed lens camera and I am glad that Sony is pushing the envelope here. I am just hoping we end up with something less expensive from another vendor like Fuji (or the RX2)! :D

My wild guess is that Fujifilm would only respond with a full frame fixed lens camera if the RX1 was shown to be hurting them in a big way but I just don't see RX1 taking away from ILC's like the XP1 or X-E1. Might steal a small percentage of buyers that might ordinarily look at the X100 though.

Probably Fujifilm would be better off re-releasing a new and improved X100, still based off APS-C.

As competition would be terrific for consumers, I hope they don't follow common sense and do it anyway.

Back