Sony Sony RX10 Mk IV -- nice focus move

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Normally when I go out for a stroll with the RX10 MkIV, I set it up in P mode with a central focus rectangle.

Yesterday, while walking at Oakwood Cemetery, the spotter-in-chief points up and says "hawk." (She noticed it because of a shadow traversing the ground; she's uncanny like that.)

I look up, point the camera, zoom way in, can't keep the bird in the focus rectangle long enough to press the button and get a lock-on.

So then I think: let's see how smart this camera really is . . . I move the dial to AUTO mode and try it again.

The camera locks on in an instant:

Oakwood Hawk duck and falls 002.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers, Jock

Great catch.

Yeah, the RX10 IV has developed a reputation as a great wildlife camera for those who can't or won't haul around a full-frame camera a big, heavy long lens.

I suppose one can split the difference with a modern micro four-thirds camera and 100-300/400mm lens. But will the micro four-thirds kit focus as fast and as accurately?

Great catch.

Yeah, the RX10 IV has developed a reputation as a great wildlife camera for those who can't or won't haul around a full-frame camera a big, heavy long lens.

I suppose one can split the difference with a modern micro four-thirds camera and 100-300/400mm lens. But will the micro four-thirds kit focus as fast and as accurately?

In my experience, the RX10 MkIV is the fastest focusing camera I have ever handled. I have owned the Oly M5 Mk 1 & II and some long lenses, but not the latest and greatest.

On the second day I owned the RX10, I was able to capture an eagle in flight in P mode, single shot, with a center focus rectangle. And not worries about not having the right lens mounted when the thing-you-want-to-shoot occurs.

Cheers, Jock

Back