Sony Sony RX100 Successor

the RX10 looks pretty awesome with it's greater range of focal lengths and same IQ. I just can't leap the mental hurdle of that staggering price tag yet. I stress the YET.

This is just about where I am, on the RX10 - and with the same emphasis on YET.;)

Of course, the price quoted on announcement is unlikely to be maintained for very long after it has been released for sale - and if (when) the price starts to drop, the temptation will increase in line with that...:eek:

it's not really the successor per se, but I don't really put any value in how tiny the camera can be. Obviously sometimes, it's nice to have something pocketable. But the RX10 looks pretty awesome with it's greater range of focal lengths and same IQ. I just can't leap the mental hurdle of that staggering price tag yet. I stress the YET.

I agree. But, remember, at least one doesn't have to purchase any additional lenses for the RX10 the way one would have to with, say, an Olympus OM-D. But, right now, the price is too dear for me even though, intellectually, I understand why it is that high in relation to the RX100 and RX100 II. I'm just hoping for some shockingly good reviews for the Olympus Stylus 1.

If you can wait until June, 2014 I guess you don't really need a new camera. If you wait until June 2014 think about all images you could have taken with the RX-100. I would not hesitate and I would buy the RX-100 version 1 right away before they are all gone. You can not go wrong with this decision.

Thanks, at the moment I'm very busy with college, so I think I'll wait. Wait and see if a new model comes out and if it's worth it. If not, then the RX100 will be cheaper.

I don't think anything really compelling will be coming out in the next few months. If you're looking for a great pocketable compact, you currently have an unprecedentedly excellent set of options.

I'd narrow it down to the RX100 (I or II) versus the Ricoh GR.

Get the RX100 II versus the I if high ISO performance, a tilting screen, WiFi functionality, or ability to mount flash or EVF is important to you. The extra cost isn't fun to swallow up front, but it'll end up being irrelevant in the long run.

Get the Ricoh GR if 28mm is a really good focal distance fit for you, if you want optimum pocketable image quality, and if you don't care too much about the latest and greatest in whiz-bang functionality.

Also, the GR, while longer, is slightly shorter and slightly thinner, which should make it slightly more comfortable in one's pants pocket.

I use the RX100 Mk2 at 28mm 95% of the time so I've been wondering if a GR would have been better for me. It's f/2.8 instead of f/2.0, but the GR max ISO is one stop higher and, apparently, about one stop better in terms of comparative quality. So low-light is a wash and the sensor size disparity maybe also makes bokeh a wash.

Oh, but if the RX100 Mk2 is a stretch for you, cost-wise, I guess you should consider that the GR is about $50 more expensive than that. But if all you can afford is the RX100 Mk1, you're still going to get a phenomenal camera.

I too have been waiting (out of restricted budget, really) for the competition to take on the RX100 but after a year and a half they haven't been doing much!
And Aptina who said they had soaring interest in their 1" sensors offering...

There will be interesting foreseeable developments in the overall camera market (Sigma's CSC, Leica's too if they don't merely rebadge Panasonic models, maybe an RX that would compete against the GR & Coolpix A, Canon's enhanced dual-pixel AF, etc.) but not in this particular sub-market, it appears.

Back