SONY vs. Micro 4/3

Yes Retow, I remember a few years ago that Olympus said it would produce a 'pro M43' with good sealing and presumably rapid functioning. They seem to have come close with the AF in the most recent introductions but some how with the companies current circumstances I can't help feelin we may have to wait...

Lloyd Chambers got hold of a NEX 7 yesterday and said a few interesting things diglloyd - Blog I had to laugh at the Steve Jobs solution to Camera UI design. His opinion is not as glowing as Michael Reichmann's

His negative comments come compared to his full frame Nikon, so you have to keep that in perspective, but this leads me to why I'm still on m43 -- I think APS-C doesn't add ENOUGH to go with, sans quality lenses. If someone had a FF compact with just a fast 50mm lens, and nothing else, I'd get it. But I don't see enough of a bump with APS-C, to put up with Sony's anemic lenses. Built in EVF, tri-navi, or wicked cool looks? Not that important. Get some lenses, please.

+1. All he and other reader review are comparing to Nikon D3x. He found even nex-5N to be noisy. I found it surprising for someone using a Leica m9.

I think nex with CV 35mm lenses will come close to what you are asking if you don't mind the manual focusing.

His negative comments come compared to his full frame Nikon, so you have to keep that in perspective. If someone had a FF compact with just a fast 50mm lens, and nothing else, I'd get it. But I don't see enough of a bump with APS-C, to put up with Sony's anemic lenses. Built in EVF, tri-navi, or wicked cool looks? Not that important. Get some lenses, please.

Interesting discussion.

I love cameras, and am fascinated by new models and the developments they bring. But when it comes to my own camera choices my desire is to keep it simple. My main form of output is to print, generally fairly large prints. Subjects are landscapes, cityscapes and street.

I was pretty happy with my Canon FF and associated lens. Great image quality and ease of use. But I did struggle with the size. Then M4/3 came along. This development coincided with a bit of a dry spot in my photography, and an awareness that while my gear could do everything asked of it, it was not always ideal. I purchased some M4/3 stuff, and after a few months decided to sell my FF kit. I did this not because M4/3 was an overall better system, but more to boost my creativity and skill by narrowing my choices. So for nearly two years I have been M4/3 only, and it's been a very good experience.

Having one small camera and a couple of good lenses has opened my photography world.

It has also reinforced what I love to shoot, and in doing so has revealed weaknesses with my M4/3 gear. There is nothing wrong with the gear at all - it's just not as good as I would like for my purposes.

I have been waiting for a small system with greater image quality, especially in high contrast situations, and/or where highlight or shadow detail are critical.

So while I will praise M4/3 and recommend the system to anyone, it is not quite there for me. Until recently I would not have looked at Nex because I don't like the UI. The Nex 7 has changed this, and I will look very closely at it in due course. Yes, the lenses look huge in comparison to some of the M4/3 lenses. But what matters to me is not the looks in comparison to another system, but the actual bulk in use. Nex is still much, much smaller than my FF system. As for lenses, yes Nex needs to broaden and deepen the choice, but I could operate very well for a start with the 24 and 50.

I look forward to what Fuji will being this year, and you never know about Pentax.

I think M4/3 has a great future, particularly if Panasonic and Olympus start showing some imagination. For many photographers M4/3 is all they will ever need. For me, something more is required. The coming year could be very interesting.

Back