Sony Sony/Zeiss 24mm on NEX5N vs X100

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
This past week I carried these two cameras and, when possible, took the same photo from the same spot with both set as nearly as possible on the same settings. Both were set to Auto ISO. Here are my conclusions: 1.) While IQ is close, I think the NEX meters more consistently. At least I prefer the way it meters. 2.) I sometimes had trouble getting the X100 to focus well, but never had that problem with the NEX. 3.) The screen on the NEX usually gave a clearer view than the X100. Here are a few samples. In each case the NEX is first followed by the X100 image. All were shot in RAW. The only pp done to these besides converting to jpg and reducing, was to use the recovery slider for those shot into the sun.

NEX547.jpg

X100261.jpg

NEX550.jpg

X100262.jpg

NEX564.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

X100278.jpg

This was the most disappointing with the X100. Perhaps the NEX reads my mind better. Yes, I know what to do on the X100 to correct this, but I wanted the cameras to do their thing without any exposure compensation, etc.

Attachments

• NEX547.jpg
    NEX547.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 583
Interesting. I feel the X100 pulled more from the shadows on the second shot, though I am sure all the info is there in the Nex and can be accessed in post.

Interesting. I feel the X100 pulled more from the shadows on the second shot, though I am sure all the info is there in the Nex and can be accessed in post.

Yes, in general the X100 seemed to favor shadows, or over expose, except in the first pair where the NEX gave better exposure to the grass which was in the shade.

Back