Sony Sony/Zeiss 24mm with NEX5N Samples

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
These were taken with the above combination while on a stroll in a local park today. The light was bright so they were taken at f8 or more. All were hand held. The first two color shots are posted with no pp except to reduce them. The two black and white shots were processes in Silver Efex Pro 2.

MGMethodist.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TreeStanbackPk.jpg

FountHCB_W.jpg

StoneTable.jpg

Thank you Dan!

How does it compare to the X100? In my eyes, the X100 is one of those cameras that can produce images that really "pop" (along with the M9 and K-5, depending on the lens I use). Unfortunately, I have yet to feel the same way about most of the m4/3 cameras that I own/owned (with the possible exception of the EP3). Any thoughts on the NEX5n + Zeiss combo? Thanks!

X100 vs. NWX5N with 24mm Zeiss

Well, Armanius, I just went back to look at a lot photos I have on file from the X100. When I was in Costa Rica probably 90% of what I took was with that camera. It was a important camera for me as I made the transition from exclusive use of DSLRs to compacts. But since I returned I have not used is so much. In fact now I am thinking of selling it. This NEX 5N with 24mm is every bit as good in terms of IQ The close focus ability of the Zeiss 24 is very nice too. The fountain shot above was taken without going into a menu to set the camera for close focus (as with the x100). I would like to see Sony produce some nice pancake lenses for the NEX, so it could be more pocketable, but I can live with it as is. Maybe we have to use smaller sensor cameras if we want pocketable. Is the EP3 pocketable? The NEX 5N would be if it had a pancake lens. Like you, I have too much gear. Some of it has to go, not only because of the $$ tied up in it, but also because it becomes confusing as I switch from one to another and have to shift my mind to the different menus. Just for fun here is that fountain shot with higher contrast:

FountHCB_W.jpg

Nice shots Dan, she really does look a sweet lens. Just a shame that this is a lone lens of repute in the Sony line-up otherwise they'd have someone else lining up for them...now that there's a little less Game-boy with the 5N and 7.

[...]In my eyes, the X100 is one of those cameras that can produce images that really "pop" (along with the M9 and K-5, depending on the lens I use). Unfortunately, I have yet to feel the same way about most of the m4/3 cameras that I own/owned (with the possible exception of the EP3). [...]
Have to disagree Armando. I get more 'pop' from the PL25/1.4 on the GF1 (and 'pop + grind' on the EP3 ;)) than I did from both the X100 and/or Pentax K-r with FA31.

NEX System

Stillshunter, I believe that Sony is committed to the NEX system, so more good lenses will follow. Actually the 16mm is a decent lens as well. I believe I can attach a couple of shots taken last summer with the 16 on a NEX5, and the wide angle adapter is pretty good on that lens as well. I am getting used to the menu on the 5N, and it is not as annoying as it used to be.If my memory serves me, the rose shot was taken with the wide angle adapter.

NEX0676r.jpg

NEX0661r.jpg

Fountain shot is great. A friend of mine took a similar picture of my daughter about a year ago. It still stays on my wallpaper on my comp

I also like the fountain, it really pops from the background.

Talking about the zeiss 24/1.8 I find it to be really good, I did not have a strict 35mm lens since I sold my X1 and acquired the zeiss a few weeks ago. All I can say is that the 5n+zeiss combo gives me better results than what I had with the x1, specially since I shoot more often in low ligh conditions, the iso capabilities are much higher and the lens is plenty sharp.

Versus x2, I didn't do formal testing on a side by side basis but I prefer the zeiss since it will stay with me while I can change bodies for a much cheaper price. I cannot say anything about th x100 since I haven't tested it enough to judge.

Back